Top Parkersburg Whistleblower & Qui Tam Lawyers - West Virginia
Whistleblower Protection In The United States
The United States has numerous safeguards in place to make sure that those who file whistleblower claims can do so without being targeted for doing the right thing. If you wish to report your employer's fraud or misconduct but you're worried that they will retaliate against you if you report their actions, a whistleblower law firm in Parkersburg can help.
Whistleblower attorneys can give you information about all of the protections that you have in a whistleblower case, including protection granted by federal laws against demotion, harassment or other types of retaliation from your employer.
Types Of Whistleblower Claims
Employees become whistleblowers by reporting various forms of illegal activity carried out by employers and other entities. These activities can include:
- Environmental violations (often involving release of toxic substances into the air or water)
- Kickbacks and bribes
- Fraudulent billing or accounting fraud
- Tax fraud
- Securities fraud (SEC whistleblower cases)
- Health and safety violations
- Military contractor fraud/defense contractor fraud (bid rigging, invoice issues such as overcharging, contract violations)
- Procurement fraud
- Health care fraud (Medicaid fraud and Medicare fraud)
- Tax fraud and tax evasion
Law firms that handle whistleblower cases in West Virginia can help you understand what options you have if you have knowledge of these or any other activities where an employer is violating the law. They make sure that the process goes as smoothly as possible and that you are protected during the whistleblowing process.
What Is A Qui Tam Lawsuit?
"Qui tam" is a legal term that typically arises in cases involving the federal False Claims Act. It relates to whistleblower claims where a person files a lawsuit alleging that a private entity is defrauding the federal government. In qui tam cases, the government can recover any funds that were illegally obtained, and the whistleblower may receive a portion of the amount recovered. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Dodd-Frank Act also contain qui tam provisions related to the securities and foreign corrupt practices.
Find Parkersburg Whistleblower Lawyers To Help You
Use FindLaw to hire a local whistleblower lawyer to protect you from retaliation and potentially even collect a percentage of the recovery.
What Questions Should I Ask A Whistleblower Lawyer?
Not sure what to ask a whistleblower attorney? Here are a few sample questions to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many whistleblower cases have you handled?
- Where is your law office in Parkersburg located?
- What are the next steps?
Want To Check Lawyer Discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.