Salem Estate Planning (Wills, Trusts, Durable Powers of Attorney, and Health Care Proxies) Lawyer
Kathryn Crockett Lyon - Ms. Lyon has been practicing law since 1997. She grew up on Army posts across the U.S. and Europe. She attended Paris American High School, graduated from Richard Montgomery High School in Maryland, and is a graduate of University of Maryland and Suffolk University Law School. Prior to joining Stern, Keilty & Wall, LLC, where she specializes in estate planning and elder law, she worked as an associate with the O'Connor Law Firm in Topsfield, Massachusetts. Before law school, she worked as a freelance editor in Boston; as a writer, editor, and trainer for government consulting firms in the Washington, D.C. area; and as a professional musician. She has served on the Board of Directors of the Topsfield Council on Aging and the Educational Resource Fund headquartered in Salem, Massachusetts. She is a speaker on estate planning, special-needs planning, and elder-law topics at assisted-living facilities, continuing-care retirement communities, nursing homes, and local councils on aging.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.