Enter legal issue and location
Olathe Criminal Defense Lawyer
Scott is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers; the American Bar Association and its Criminal Justice and Litigation sections; the Kansas Bar Association and its Criminal Law Section; The Missouri Bar; and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and its Criminal Law and Federal Court Advocates committees. He is a Master of the Inn of the Earl E. O'Connor American Inn of Court and serves as a director of the Inn. Scott has been a member of the panel of attorneys qualified by the judges of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas to represent accused persons under the federal Criminal Justice Act. He was a member of the National Conference of Bar Presidents and served on its Membership Committee.
Scott is a member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States of America, and the bars of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Kansas, and the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. He is a Sustaining Member of both the American Bar Foundation and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, and is a Fellow of the Kansas Bar Foundation, the Johnson County Bar Foundation, and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. Scott is a Life Member of Historical Society of the Tenth Circuit.
In every year since 2005, when the selection was first available, Scott has been selected by his peers to the list of Super Lawyers in a poll conducted by Law and Politics magazine, which asks 23,000 Kansas and Missouri lawyers to nominate the best attorneys they have personally observed in action. Only five percent of all the lawyers in Kansas and Missouri are named to the list of Super Lawyers. Scott has been selected in two categories: Criminal Defense and DUI/DWI.
In 2007, Scott was elected to the Tenth Judicial District Nominating Commission by a vote of the 3,000 members of the Tenth Judicial District of Kansas. The commission nominates to the governor of Kansas candidates for appointment to the Johnson County district court bench.
Scott is a former Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Kansas School of Law in Lawrence, teaching Trial Advocacy to second and third year law students. He is a regular speaker at continuing legal education (CLE) courses in criminal law and criminal procedure.
From 1996 to 2012, Scott was the City Prosecutor for the City of Mission Hills, Kansas. He continues to serve Mission Hills as a judge pro tem.
In addition to his activities in the legal profession, Scott is involved in his local community. He remains involved with his alma mater, The Barstow School, an independent co-educational day school founded in 1884 in Kansas City, Missouri. Scott has served Barstow as a trustee of the school, as a member of the alumni association board of directors, and as a class representative for the Class of 1974. He was chairman of the Strategic Planning Committee of the Barstow Board of Trustees during the capital campaign that funded the design and construction of the current Lower School. He has served as a member of the Jayhawks for Higher Education Committee of The University of Kansas, and as a member of the Leawood Chamber of Commerce. Scott has served on the board of directors of the Olathe Arts Alliance and the Olathe Region United Way.
From 1995 to 2001, Scott was the weekly on-screen legal analyst for FOX 4 TV in Kansas City, Missouri.
Scott lives in Leawood, Kansas, with his wife and their four children.
About Scott C. Gyllenborg
- Criminal Defense
- Sex Offenses
- Sexual Abuse
- Drug Violations
- White Collar Crimes
Current Employment Position(s)
- English (Primary)
- Kansas, 1988
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1988
- Missouri, 2006
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2005
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2006
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) (Member)
- American Bar Association (ABA) (Member, Criminal Justice Section)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ) (Member, Criminal Law Section)
- Kansas Bar Association (KBA) (Member, Criminal Law Section)
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association (KTLA) (Member, Criminal Law Committee)
- Kansas Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Johnson County Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- International Mensa and American Mensa (Member)
- Kansas City Metropolitan (Federal Court Advocates Section, CLE Committee, 2009)
- Kansas City Metropolitan, 2010 - Present (Membership Committee, Co-Chairman)
- Earl E. O’Connor American Inn of Court (Master of the Inn)
- National Conference of Bar Presidents, Membership Committee
- American Bar (Ethics, Gideon & Professionalism Committee)
- The BarLetter, Co-Editor, 2005-2010, Editor, 2010-Present; Membership Committee, Chairman, 2009-Present
- Kansas Bar Association (KBA) (Chairman, Annual Meeting and Joint Judicial Conference, 2012)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA), Sustaining Member; Member of the Criminal Law Committee; Former Chairman of the Federal Court Advocates Section; CLE presenter
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation – Fellow, Vice-President of the Board of Directors
- American Bar - Litigation and Criminal Law Sections
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member and CLE presenter
- University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas, May, 1988
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, May, 1979
- Johnson County District Attorney's Office, Assistant District Attorney, 1988 - 1991
- Watson Ess Marshall & Enggas (later Watson & Marshall), Associate, 1991 - 1996
- Norton Hubbard Ruzicka & Kreamer, Founding Partner, 1996 - 2000
- Scott C. Gyllenborg, P.A., President, 2000 - Present, 2000 - Present
- City of Mission Hills, Kansas, Prosecuting Attorney, 1996 - 2017
Pro Bono Activities
- Midwest Innocence Project, Board of Directors, 2008 - 2015
- Olathe Arts Alliance, Director, 1992 - 1994
- The Barstow School, Trustee, 1997 - 2003
- Project Uplift – Delivering meals, clothing and necessities to the homeless in Kansas City
Classes and Seminars
- Adjunct Professor of Law in Trial Advocacy, University of Kansas School of Law, 2005 - 2013
Other Sources of Feedback About Scott C. Gyllenborg
Included on the 2023 Missouri and Kansas list
- 2022 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2007 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2006 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- 2005 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers list
- Boss of the Year presented by Johnson County Legal Professionals, 1997 - 1998
- Selected to Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2017
111 South Kansas Avenue Olathe, KS 66061
Accepts Credit Cards
Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm; Saturday & Sunday by appointment only
- Effective Assistance of Counsel to Alien Criminal Defendant Under Sixth Amendment After Padilla, UMKC Law Review, 79, 2011
The challenge for criminal defense counsel representing a noncitizen is to stay acquainted with the immigration consequences of a plea and to inform the client of those consequences before the client decides whether to accept a plea.
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required