Enter legal issue and location
Find Lawyer Profiles
Lawyer names starting with E - Practicing in Adoption, Assault & Battery -- Plaintiff, Estate Planning and more.
Browse By Name
Do I need a lawyer?
Don't be intimidated by the thought of hiring a lawyer. Their job is to help you find the best solution to your legal issue. Here are some examples of when it is best to hire a lawyer:
- You were in a car accident, slip and fall, or other accident and suffered an injury
- You were accused of a crime, DUI, or other violation
- You’re facing a family problem such as divorce or child custody dispute
If any of these sound like you, you should consider talking with several lawyers before choosing one. Get started now by browsing or searching for lawyers who match your needs.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.