Gretchen M. Méndez-Vilella's practice is concentrate in the area of environmental law. For 24 years, she has been advising clients in matters associated to federal, Commonwealth and municipal environmental standards regulating commercial, industrial and agricultural constructions and operations. She has extensive experience designing effective environmental compliance assurance programs and defending clients in environmental enforcement actions. Ms. Méndez-Vilella also has ample experience in Superfund, due diligence/all appropriate inquiries, contract drafting, permitting, auditing and self-disclosure, and decommissioning, decontamination and demolition projects. Ms. Méndez-Vilella is also a regular lecturer on hazardous waste management, stormwater controls auditing and self disclosure, environmental permitting for startup businesses and all appropriate inquiries standards for environmental due diligence in real estate transactions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.