Enter legal issue and location
PO Box 1010120 Edmunds Blvd. Halifax, VA 24558
- (434) 476-4140
State of Virginia Public Defender (Main Office) 701 East Franklin Street Richmond, VA (804) 225-4330
State of Virginia 209 First St SW Roanoke, VA 24011 - 1603 (540) 857-7111
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm Suite B 202 N Bridge Street Bedford, VA 24523 - 1926 (540) 586-4431
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm. Masonic Bldg Suite 326 105 S Union St Danville, VA 24541 (804) 791-5306
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm. Suite 500 4103 Chain Bridge Rd Fairfax, VA 22030 - 4107 (703) 934-5600
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm Krise Bldg Ste 401 203 Ninth Street Lynchburg, VA 24505 (804) 947-2244
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm 212 N Sycamore Street Petersburg, VA 23803 - 3248 (804) 862-6286
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm 355 Crawford Pkwy Portsmouth, VA 23704 - 2816 (757) 396-6840
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm 65 E Main St Ste B Pulaski, VA 24301 - 5013
State of Virginia Public Defender Suite 100 707 Gittings St Suffolk, VA 23434 - 6101 (757) 925-2489
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm PO Box 6160 2406 Princess Anne Rd Virginia Beach, VA 23456 - 3409 (757) 427-4675
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm. 45 E Boscawen St Winchester, VA 22601 - 4725 (540) 722-3450
State of Virginia Public Defender Office Suite 204 110 N Royal St Alexandria, VA 22314 (703) 838-4477
State of Virginia Public Defender Comm PO Box 31 13 Walnut St Martinsville, VA 24114 - 0031 (540) 666-2206
State of Virginia Public Defender PO Box 715 19 Middle Brook Staunton, VA 24401 - 4259 (540) 332-7845
State of Virginia Public Defender Suite 300 2300 Fall Hill Ave Fredericksburg, VA 22401 - 3342 (540) 899-4814
State of Virginia Public Defender Office 102a S King St Leesburg, VA 22075 - 3009 (703) 771-2507
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.