Enter legal issue and location
Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyer
About Zane D. Smith
- English (Primary)
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Professional Negligence
- Complex Litigation
- Civil Rights
- Seals v. Rush Univ. Med. Ctr., Walgreen Company and Melamed, 2021 IL App (1st) 200558, App Ct; Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Vol. 167, 118, 2021 Lyons Lumber v. 7722 N. Ashland, LLC, 2016 IL App (3d) 140487, App Ct
- Illinois, 1983
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1983
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1983
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2008
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2015
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Chairman Tort Litigation Committee 2001-2002)
- Chicago Bar Association (Vice Chair Tort Litigation Committee 2000-2001)
- Chicago Bar Association (Legislative Liaison Tort Committee 1999-2000)
Classes and Seminars
- Illinois Code of Civil Procedure on Rule 213(f)(3), CBA, Tort Litigation Committee, 2000
- Deposition Strategies, CBA, Tort Litigation Committee, 2001
- Speaker on "Deposition Strategies" at CBA, Tort Litigation Committee, 2000: I had the honor of sharing insights and strategies on effective deposition techniques with fellow legal professionals at the Chicago Bar Association.
Pro Bono Activities
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Volunteer Attorney , 2000 - Present
- Boy Scouts of America/Cub Scouts of America, 1997 - 2011
- Synergism, Inc. , Vice President and General Counsel, 1985 - 1989
- French, Kezelis & Komaniarek, P.C., Associate Attorney, 1983 - 1985
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 1983
Honors: Elected Class Representative
Honors: Phi Alpha Delta
- Southern Illinois University , Carbondale , Illinois, 1978
Honors: Dean's List
Honors: Elected Student Council
111 West Washington StreetSuite 1750 Chicago, IL 60602
Other Sources of Feedback About Zane D. Smith
Included on the 2024 Illinois list
- 2023 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- Board Member for the Winnetka Youth Organization, 2019 - 2022
- Candidate for US Congress, Primary Race 10th District Illinois, 2006 - Present
- Elected twice to the Winnetka Park District Board of Commissioners, 2001 - 2005
- Distinguished Service Award, Chicago Volunteer Services Foundation, 1998 - Present
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.