Enter legal issue and location
Boston ERISA Lawyer
Diane has particular expertise in the following areas: employee benefits issues arising from mergers and acquisitions, resolution of prohibited transactions, Employee Stock Ownership Plans, plan audit representation, non-profit employee benefit design plan, which includes 403(b) and 457 plans, and other tax advantaged welfare plans, such as health and cafeteria plans.
Additionally, she has extensive experience representing clients before governmental agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Department of Labor, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and in addressing qualified plan issues through corrections programs. She also assists financial institutions and pension professionals in complying with relevant statutes and related regulations.
Prior to The Wagner Law Group, Diane served as the principal attorney of her own firm in Ohio. She has also served as an ERISA partner at two major Ohio law firms as well as Of Counsel at a leading Washington, D.C. law firm
She serves on the Pension Liaison Group for the Northeast Key District of the Internal Revenue Service.
About Diane Cohen
Current Employment Position(s)
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Ohio, 1975
- Columbus Bar Association, 1980 - Present (Employee Benefits Subcommittee)
- Ohio State Bar Association, 1975 - Present (Member)
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, 1975 - Present (Member)
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
Classes and Seminars
- Speaker, with Joyce Kahn (IRS Manager, Employee Plans Correction Programs) Creative Pension and Benefits Seminar, "EPCRS Update," 2005
- Speaker, PWMA Employment Relations Seminar, "Hot Topics in Employee Benefits," 2001
- Speaker, Nationwide Insurance Company Seminar, "Hot Topics in Employee Benefits," 2001
- Copresenter with IRS Representatives, Creative Pension and Benefits Seminar, "IRS Plan Correction Methods," 2002
- Speaker, Paine Webber Attorney Network Seminar, "ERISA 2000-Educate or Litigate," 1999
- Speaker, Ohio State Bar Association Seminar, "Choice of Entity and LLCs," 1999
- Copresenter with IRS Representatives, Creative Pension and Benefits Seminar, "Fixing the Broken Plan - IRS Corrective Procedures," 1999
- Speaker, Highland Capital Seminar, "Recent Developments Affecting Fiduciaries," 1999
- Speaker, Certified Employee Benefits Specialists Seminar, "Reporting and Disclosure Requirements," 1998
- Speaker, Creative Pension and Benefits Seminar, "IRS Update - Including Plan Restatements," 1998
- Speaker, M.A.P. (for United Way Agencies) Seminar, "Reporting & Legal Requirements of Plans," 1997
- Speaker, Women Lawyers of Franklin County, "Rainmaking," 1997
- Speaker, Women Business Owners Conference, "Building Your Professional Practice," 1997
- Speaker, Certified Employee Benefits Specialists, "Highlights of the Small Business Job protection Act of 1996," 1996
- Speaker, Paine Webber Attorney Network, "Estate and Tax Planning," 1996
- Speaker, Highland Capital Seminar, "Qualified Plan Overview - Practical Approaches to Compliance & Investing," 1996
- Speaker, Fawcett Center/Ohio State University, "Qualified Plan Building Blocks," 1996
- Speaker, Naples, Florida, "Recent Developments Affecting Fiduciaries," 1996
- Speaker, Columbus Bar Association, CPA and Columbus Life Underwriters' Association, "Advanced Compensation Technique - Planning Options for Executives of Not-for-Profit," 1995
- Speaker, Lorman Business Center/Ohio Business Law Seminar, "Counseling the Employer Regarding Retirement Plan Choices," 1995
- Planning Committee, Creative Pension and Benefits Seminar, OSU College of Law (sponsor)
Pro Bono Activities
- Pension Liaison Group for the Northeast key District of the Internal Revenue Service
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur, L.L.P., Columbus, Ohio, Partner, Head of Employee Benefits Practice Group, 1989 - 2005
- Martin, Eichenberger & Baxter, Co., L.P.A., Worthington, Ohio, Partner, 1985 - 1989
- James Tansey & Associates, Washington, D.C., Of Counsel, 1983 - 1985
- Diane K. Goulder, Co., L.P.A., Worthington, Ohio, Principal, 1979 - 1985
- Mayer, Terakedis & Blue (f/k/a Mayer, Terakedis & Weed), Columbus, Ohio, Associate, 1975 - 1979
- Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York, 1975
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1972
Bachelor of Arts
Honors: summa cum laude
Major: Political Science
Fraternities and Sororities
- Phi Sigma Sigma
- Tau Beta Sigma
- Phi Lambda Delta
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phased Retirement Programs: Exploring the Benefits and Issues, Webinar for Lorman Education Services, Friday, April 20, 2018, 1:00 – 2:30 PM (ET)
- Phased Retirement Programs: Exploring the Benefits and Issues , ERISA Webinar by Lorman (90 min) July 23, 2015
- "Behavioral Finance In Retirement Plans: Are We Talking out of Both Sides of our Mouths?", New England Employee Benefits Council Connection Series (Waltham, MA), March 7, 2014
- BNA Tax Management Portfolio, : "EPCRS - Plan Correction and Disqualification," 2014 Edition
- BNA Tax Management Portfolio, "EPCRS - Plan Correction and Disqualification," 2010 Edition
- BNA Tax and Accounting:, "Navigating Qualified Plan Correction in Light of IRS and DOL Differing Perspectives," 2009
- Author, "Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System: A Guide for the Novice,", Benefits Law Journal, 2008
- Author, The Mature Retirement Plan-Still Not Old Enough to Know Better,", The Daily Reporter, 2001, 2002
- Author, ERISA Allows Employers to Provide ‘Hot' Benefits Without Getting Burned,, The Daily Reporter, 2001
- Author, "Employers Should Be Aware of Benefit Plans' Administrative Issue,", The Daily Reporter, 2002
125 High StreetOliver Street Tower, 5th Floor Boston, MA 02110
- Who's Who of American Law
- Who's Who of American Women
- The Best Lawyers in America
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.