Enter legal issue and location
Carmel Litigation Lawyer
Mr. Reed's clients are often high-profile individuals in entertainment, sports and politics, professionals, business owners and executives, and the spouses/partners of these individuals. For many business owners, their business is their most valuable asset. Mr. Reed works with business owners and their partners to identify how to protect the business in the beginning of a relationship. He also understands the complexities that often arise in divorce involving business owners, such as dividing a business, ownership questions, and business valuation.
Mr. Reed has been consistently selected for inclusion in the Indiana Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Family Law. He is a sought-after source for insight on matrimonial and family law matters in Indiana and beyond.
About James Reed
Current Employment Position(s)
- Litigation 80%
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
- Indiana, 1983
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Member)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Board of Managers, 1990-1992; 1993-1995
- American Bar Association
- Christel DeHaan Family Foundation, 2000 - 2004
- Christel House Charity, 2000 - 2008
- Indianapolis City Market, 1994 - 1996
- Behavior Corp, 1993 - 1996
Classes and Seminars
- Regular speaker and presenter at Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF), Indianapolis Bar Association, The Indiana Lawyer, Annual Family Law Institute and trade seminars.
- 'Graying Divorce' & Representation of Clients with Diminished Capacity, 18th Annual Family Law Institute, ICLEF Seminar, October 2020
- Child Support Calculation Nuances, CME for Family Mediators, ICLEF Seminar, September 2020
- Self-Settled Trust & Premarital Agreements: The Perfect Combination, 17th Annual Family Law Institute, ICLEF Seminar, October 2019
- Family Law, 41st Annual Judge Robert H. Staton Indiana Law Update, ICLEF Seminar, September 2019
- Negotiating & Defending Premarital & Post Marital Agreements, 16th Annual Family Law Institute, ICLEF Seminar, October 2018
- The New Tax Law & Divorce, 16th Annual Family Law Institute, ICLEF seminar, October 2018
- Family and Juvenile Law, 40th Annual Indiana Law Update, ICLEF seminar, September 2018
- Prenups and Postnups 101, Essentials of Family Law Seminar, ICLEF, August 2018
- Hot Topics in Premarital Agreements, Indianapolis Bar Association CLE seminar, June 2018
- "Diversity: The Missing Piece in Family Law", - October 14, 2010
- "Financial and Estate Planning for Divorcing Clients", - August 13, 2010
- "Divorce 101: Handling Your First Divorce Case", - December 4, 2009
- "A Survey of the New Amendments to the Indiana Child Support Rules and Guidelines", - September 15, 2009
- "Family Law Institute Tax Returns: Analyzing LLC, S-Corporations and Partnership Tax Returns", - 2009
- "Tax Returns and Related Documents: Sample Discovery Requests", - October 15, 2008
- "Divorce 101: Property Related Clauses and for Decrees and Settlements Agreements", - April 25, 2008
- "Overview of Divorce-Related Issues Involving Highly Compensated Executives and Business Owners and Social Security Issues in Divorce", - December 13, 2007
Pro Bono Activities
- International School of Indiana; Past Member, Capital Campaign Committee
- Indianapolis Bar Association Free Will Clinic, VA Hospital
- Indiana University, 1978 - 1980
- Indiana Judicial Center, 1980 - 1981
- Atkinson Kelsey, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Summer 1982
- James A. Buck, Attorney, 1981 - 1990
- Skiles and Reed, 1990 - 1996
- Dentons (Partner) successor to Bingham Sommers Welsh and Spilman, Bingham McHale, Bingham Greenebaum Doll, 1996 - 2021
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1983
Honors: magna cum laude
- Indiana University, Indiana, 1978
B.A., Graduated with Honors
Major: English Literature
Fraternities and Sororities
- Phi Beta Kappa
Accepts Credit Cards
- "Divorce in Indiana: What to expect and best practices to follow during the divorce process", Client Guide, 2021
- "Why do I need to have a premarital agreement" , Indiana Lawyer, Jan.8-21, 2019
- Co-author "A Brief Survey of the New Amendments to the Indiana Child Support Rules & Guidelines", Res Gestae, Fall, 2009
- Co-author "Family Law Issues Concerning Gays, Lesbians and their Children Under Indiana Law", Res Gestae, Spring, 2007
- "Overview of Divorce-Related Issues Involving Highly Compensated Executives and Business Owners", ICLEF, November, 2007
- "Hot Property Topics: Stock Options, Remainder Interests, Property Issues for Non-Married Cohabitants, and Provisions Your Decree May Need", ICLEF, January, 2007
- "Family Law Issues Concerning Gays, Lesbians and their Children Under Indiana Law,” Publisher: Res Gestae, Indiana State Bar Association, Co-author: Michael Kohlhass, May, 2007
11595 North Meridian StreetSuite 110 Carmel, IN 46032
- Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Harrison Legal Writing Award, First Place, "Family Law Issues Concerning Gays, Lesbians and their Children Under Indiana Law," Res Gestae, Indiana State Bar Association, co-author Michael Kohlhass, May 2007
- Christel House Ambassador of Distinction, 2008
- Super Lawyer Top 50
- Earned Martindale Hubbell's AV, the highest rating in 5th year of practice
- Selected for inclusion in Lawdragon 500 Leading Family Lawyers, 2020
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® in the field of Family Law, 2004-2023
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Family Law, 1995-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America® Indianapolis Family Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2013, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in The National Law Journal Trailblazers - Divorce, Trusts & Estates list, 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- “Chambers and Partners” designated practitioner in High Net Worth Guide, Divorce and Family Law 2022
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.