Enter legal issue and location
Honolulu Aviation Lawyer
About L. Richard Fried Jr.
Current Employment Position(s)
- Founding Member
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Consumer Fraud
- Motor Vehicle
- Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices
- State of Hawaii v. Bristol-Myers Squibb Co., et al., 1CC 141000708 (Plavix Litigation) (First Circuit Court, State of Hawaii) ($834,000,000 judgment) (2019)
- Campano v. U.S., 15-00439 (USDC Hawaii 2018)
- McKenzie v. Hawaii Permanente Med. Group, 98 Hawaii 296, 47 P.3d 1209, (2002)
- Abramson v. Aetna Ins. Co., 75 F.3d 304, (9th Cir. 1996)
- Lum v. Queen's Medical Center, 69 Haw. 419, 744 P.2d 1205, (1987)
- Fernandez v. U.S., 673 F.2d 269, (9th Cir. 1982)
- Survivors of Cariaga v. Del Monte Corp., 2 Haw.App. 672, 642 P.2d 537, (1982)
- Peters v. Peters, 63 Haw. 653, 634 P.2d 586, (1981)
- Seibel v. Kemble, 63 Haw. 516, 631 P.2d 173, (1981)
- Siebel v. City and County of Honolulu, 61 Haw. 253, 602 P.2d 532, (1979)
- Gregg Kendall & Associates, Inc. v. Kauhi, 53 Haw. 88, 486 P.2d 136, (1971)
- Evanson v. University of Hawaii, 52 Haw. 595, 483 P.2d 187, (1971)
- McIntosh v. Murphy, 52 Haw. 29, 469 P.2d 177, 52 Haw. 112, (1970)
- Arizona, 1966
- Hawaii, 1968
- U.S. District Court District of the Northern Mariana Islands, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1969
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1978
- U.S. Tax Court, 1977
- U.S. Court of International Trade, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1977
- Hawaii State Bar Association, (Board of Directors, 1995 to 1997)
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Arizona
- Lawyer Pilot's Bar Association
- Consumer Lawyers of Hawaii, (Member, Board of Governors, 1993 to 2000)
- Consumer Lawyers of Hawaii, (President, 2001 to 2002)
- American Association for Justice, (National Committeeman, 1980 to 1982)
- American Association for Justice Birth Trauma Litigation Group
- American Association for Justice Aviation Law Section
- American Association for Justice Federal Tort Liability and Military Advocacy Law Section
- American Board of Trial Advocates
Pro Bono Activities
- Hawaii Theater Center (Board of Directors 2010 -; Vice-Chair)
- American Civil Liberties Union (1977 - present) (Campaign Chair Lawyers’ Division 2016 - present)
- Hawaii Innocence Project (Executive Director 2017 - present)
- Hawaii Make-a-Wish Foundation (Board of Directors 2017 - present; Executive Committee 2020 - present)
- Hawaii Tourism Authority (Board of Directors 2014-2021; Chair 2016-2021)
- United States Tennis Association (Ranked No. 1 in Age Group in United States, 2021)
- University of Arizona College of Law, Tucson, Arizona, 1966
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 1963
Honors: With Honors
Fraternities and Sororities
- Phi Delta Phi
841 Bishop Street, Suite 600 Honolulu, HI 96813- 3962
Other Sources of Feedback About L. Richard Fried Jr.
Included on the 2023 Hawaii list
- 2022 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Hawaii Super Lawyers list
- Best Lawyers in Hawaii (Lawyer of the Year, 2021)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Top Ten Court Awards in the U.S. (Campano v. U.S., 2018) ($24.7M)
- Who's Who in American Law
- International Biographical Centre Advisory Council
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.