Janmarie Toker - Topsham, ME
4 Union ParkP.O. Box 5000Topsham, ME 04086- 5000
Topsham Longshore & Harbor Workers' Compensation Act Lawyer
I take great pride in and have passion for representing injured longshore workers. I've been representing workers at BIW for over 25 years. The system is complicated and confusing and people need a strong, experienced, and knowledgeable lawyer in their corner to make sure their rights are protected and best interests served. I understand how serious the stakes are-not only as a lawyer in this field but as the granddaughter of a Portland longshoreman.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.