Enter legal issue and location
El Segundo Construction Law Lawyer
Representative matters include contract drafting and negotiation of construction and design contracts for major commercial, entertainment, residential and mixed-use projects, for both owners and contractors. Regularly advise developers, general contractors and others concerning legal, contract and insurance issues. Serve as personal counsel for clients in construction and design defect cases, overseeing work of defense counsel, working with insurance carriers and advising as to strategy. Participate in lobbying for and against legislation affecting construction industry, including revising pending bills and testifying before legislative committees.
Experience includes numerous construction defect (residential and commercial), professional liability (error & omission), delay and disruption, mechanic's lien and stop notice, and disputed change order matters. Tried or arbitrated 12 construction cases to judgment/award, almost all as first chair.
Extensive general litigation experience, including products liability, personal injury, real estate, environmental, commercial and employment matters, with four such cases tried to judgment/award.
Transactional experience includes real estate purchase and sale, land use/entitlements, loan documentation, and leasing matters.
About Timothy M. Truax
Current Employment Position(s)
- Sole Practitioner
- Construction Law 75%
- Real Estate Law 10%
- Arbitration/Mediation Neutral 10%
- General Civil Litigation 5%
- The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
- Centre Builders, Inc.
- Cannon Building Services, Inc.
- DKN Hotels LLC
- Sanchez Bros. Construction, Inc.
- AEW Capital Management, L.P.
- The Carlyle Group
- Thompson Metal Fabrication, Inc.
- PCL Construction Services, Inc.
- Kornwasser Shopping Center Properties, LLP
- California, 1985
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1986
- American Bar Association (Forum on Construction Law), 1993 - Present (Member)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Real Property Section, Construction Law Subsection), 1986 - Present (Member)
- Associated General Contractors of California (Legal Advisory Committee, Legislative Committee, State Board of Directors, Building Division Board of Directors, AGCC PAC), 1992 - Present (Member)
Classes and Seminars
- Presentation, Lorman Education Services: Design-Build/Construction Management , - 2014
- Presentation, Lorman Education Services: Managing Construction Project , - 2014
- Presentation, ABA Forum Committee on Construction Law: Local Hiring Ordinances, - 2013
- Presentation, AGC of California: Insurance and Indemnity, - 2012
- Presentation, Lorman Education Services: California Construction Lien Law, - 2012
- Presentation, Los Angeles County Bar Association: Indemnity & Insurance, - 2012
- Presentation, Lorman Education Services: 2007 Version of AIA Contracts, - 2009
- Presentation, PCL Construction Services, Inc.: Labor Compliance Under California Law, - 2008
- Presentation, Bond Companies: Construction Law in California, - 2005
- Thelen, Marrin, Johnson & Bridges, Associate/Partner, 1985 - 1998
- Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP, Senior Counsel/Partner, 1998 - 2007
- University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles, California
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- San Jose State University, San Jose, California
B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Honors: With Distinction
222 North Sepulveda BoulevardSuite 2000 El Segundo, CA 90245- 5614
- Associated General Contractors of California Associate Achievement Award, - 2013
- Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2016
- America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA, 2004 - 2015
- Best Lawyers, 2007 - 2016
- Who's Who Legal: Construction, - 2015
- Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year - Construction Litigation/Los Angeles, - 2016
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Preeminent Ranking, - 2016
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.