WILLIAM P. HEFFERNAN: Born Philadelphia, Pa. November 5, 1966. Admitted to Bar 1992, Illinois, US District Court Northern District of Illinois and Federal Trial Bar. Education: University of Texas at Austin (B.S. 1989) St. Mary's University, San Antonio, Texas (J.D. 1992). Member of DRI, Will Co. Bar Association. Serves as arbitrator on behalf of State Farm Insurance Companies in Uninsured and Underinsured cases. Mr. Heffernan has tried in excess of 50 jury trials.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.