Enter legal issue and location
Brookfield Criminal Law Lawyer
Criminal defense law practice focused primarily on defense of serious and complex criminal offenses, both state and federal, trial and appeal. Homicides, sexual assaults, vehicular homicides, drug offenses, white collar, wrongful convictions, Expertise in DNA and other forensic sciences. Defense of liberty and constitutional rights in all cases. Many high profiles cases handled discreetly. Designated as Super Lawyer from 2006 through 2019.
About Jerome F. Buting
Current Employment Position(s)
Year Joined Firm
- Criminal Law 95%
- Homicides and Violent Crimes
- Sex Offenses
- Drug Offenses
- Child Pornography
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Juvenile Offenses
- Wrongful Convictions
- False Confessions and Illegal Searches
- DNA & Computer Evidence
- Domestic Violence
- Drunk Driving
- State v. Schaefer, 308 Wis.2d 279, 746 N.W.2d 457, 2008 WI 25 (Wis. Supreme Ct 2008)
- United States v. Muhammad, 502 F.3d 646 (7th Cir 2007)
- State v. Armstrong, 283 Wis.2d 689, 700 N.W.2d 98, 2005 WI 119 (Wis Supreme Ct 2005)
- Bertrand v. Oswald, 374 F.3d 475 (7th Cir 2004)
- State v. Brienzo, 267 Wis.2d 349 (Wis. Ct App 2003)
- State ex rel Tate v. Schwartz, 257 Wis.2d 40, 654 N.W.2d 438 (Wis. Supreme Ct 2002)
- State v. Agnello, 226 Wis.2d 164, 593 N.W.2d 427 (Wis. Supreme Court 1999)
- Wisconsin, 1981
- District of Columbia, 1982
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1982 - Present (Member)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1990 - 1992 (Board of Directors)
- American Bar Association, 1982 - Present (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin, 1981 - Present (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Criminal Law Section, 1998 - 2018 (Board of Directors)
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Criminal Law Section, 2005 - 2007 (Chair)
- Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1990 - 1991 (President)
Classes and Seminars
- FREQUENT LECTURER ON DNA, COMPUTER CRIMES AND OTHER FORENSIC EVIDENCE.
- 2014 National Association Criminal Defense Lawyers, Las Vegas, "The Trouble With Torrents: Beating Back the File Sharing Child Porn Cases"
- 2014 Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, "Just A Touch: DNA Transfers and Other New Developments in Forensic DNA"
- 2012 Alaska Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, "Defense Use of DNA: Make It Work"
- 2012 Annual Criminal Defense Conference, "Cross Examination in Ineffective Assistance Challenge"
- 2011 Wisconsin State Public Defender, "Hot Topics for Appellate Litigation"
- 2010 Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, "Whatever Happened to the Science in Forensic Science?"
- 2008 Wisconsin State Public Defender, "Defending DNA Cases"
- 2008 Wisconsin State Bar Annual Convention, "Discovery Opportunities in Sex Offense Cases."
- 2006-2005 State Bar Annual Convention
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Doctor of Jurisprudence
Honors: cum laude
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Honors: cum laude
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
400 N. Executive DriveSuite 205 Brookfield, WI 53005
Other Sources of Feedback About Jerome F. Buting
Included on the 2023 Wisconsin list
- 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2007 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- 2006 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list
- Designated as Super Lawyer, 2006 through 2019
- Recipient of the 2001 David Niblack Award by the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. This award is presented to individuals, "For standing with the indigent in their times of need and thereby protecting the rights of us all."
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.