Enter legal issue and location
Bloomington Litigation Lawyer
About Jonathan A. Backman Esq.
- Litigation 60%
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Banking & Finance Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Business & Commercial Law
- Criminal Defense
- Civil Rights and Constitutional
- Employment Law -- Employee
- Employment Law -- Employer
- Intellectual Property Law
- Litigation & Appeals
- Professional Malpractice Law
- MONTGOMERY WARD (1997-1999)
- KARSTEN MAHLMANN (1991-1998)
- THE WHITLOCK CORPORATION (1996-2002)
- AMERICAN SPEEDY PRINTING CENTERS (1996-1997)
- NOBART, INC. (1994-1997)
- NORTHWEST AIRLINES (1992-1995)
- INTERCO, INCORPORATED (1991-1992)
- Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2004
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2006
- Central Illinois Center for Independent Living (Former member of the Board of Directors)
Classes and Seminars
- ADA Training Seminars, IADOCPA, Inc.
- ADA Training Seminars, Central Illinois Recovery Coalition
- WBJC guest legal analyst and former forum speaker
- Harvard University Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1987
Honors: cum laude
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1984
Honors: magna cum laude
- Hartford Insurance Revisited: Seller Beware, XVIII Bankruptcy Strategist 1, September, 2001
- Subordination of Tax Penalties: Dead or Alive (Co-Author), XVI Bankruptcy Strategist 1, March, 1996
- Banks May Freeze Funds Subject to Setoff (Co-Author), Bankruptcy Strategist 1, November, 1995
- Alternatives to Insurance Liquidation, a U.S. Perspective (Co-Author), 4 Int'l J. Ins. L. 218, October, 1994
- Civil RICO Claims in Bankruptcy (Co-Author), Civil RICO Practice: Causes of Action, Supp., 1993
- Appeals Court Upholds New Value Exception, X Bankruptcy Strategist 11, September, 1993
- How Courts Split on Res Judicata Doctrine, X Bankruptcy Strategist 8, June, 1993
- Landlord Damage Claims in Chapter 11, IX Bankruptcy Strategist 4, February, 1992
- Face Value Debt Swap Does Not Create OID, IX Bankruptcy Strategist 7, May, 1992
- Pursuing Alter-Ego Liability Against Non-Bankrupt Third Parties: Structuring a Comprehensive Conceptual Framework (Co-Author), 35 St. Louis L.J. 657, 1991
117 N. Center Street Bloomington, IL 61701- 5001
- (309) 820-7430
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.