Enter legal issue and location
St Thomas Transactional Lawyer
Tom Bolt, Managing Attorney, founded the firm in 1991. His practice concentration is in government relations, banking, real estate, real estate finance, and estate planning. He is a member of many national and local business and charitable organizations.
Tom chairs the Government Relations Practice Group of the Firm and is a member of the Firm's Corporate & Financial Services and Real Estate Groups. He has written and lectured on a variety of government relations issues.
About Tom Bolt
Year Joined Firm
- Business Organizations
- Government Agencies & Programs
- Real Estate Law
- Estate Planning
- Deloitte & Touche, L.L.P.
- Ernst & Young, L.L.P.
- KPMG Peat Marwick, L.L.P.
- PriceWaterhouse Coopers, L.L.P.
- USVI Hotel & Tourism Association
- Virgin Islands Bankers Association
- Merchants Commercial Bank
- Countrywide Financial
- Host Marriott Corp.
- American Resort Development Association
- KPMG Peat Marwick LLP
- JP Morgan/Chase
- Lloyd's of London
- Lovango Conservation, LLC
- Metro Motors
- PHH Mortgage
- SPM Resorts
- Virgin Islands Territorial Association of REALTORS®
- Vitraco Mall
- Virgin Islands, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of the Virgin Islands
- Virgin Islands Bar Association, 1989 - 2000 (Delegate, American Bar Association)
- Virgin Islands Bar Association (Member, Board of Governors, 1988, 1990-2000)
- Virgin Islands Bar Association, 1987 - 1996 (Member, Committee on Legislation and Law Reform)
- Virgin Islands Bar Association, 1987 - 1993 (Chair, Committee on Legislation and Law Reform)
- Virgin Islands Bar Association, 1994 - 1995 (Chair, Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Liability Insurance)
- American Bar Association, 1989 - 1998 (Member, House of Delegates)
- American Bar Association, Member, Sections of General Practice, Law Practice Management, Business Law, Individual Rights and Responsibilities, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
- American Bar Association, 1993 - 1996 (Member, House of Delegates, Committee on Drafting)
- American Bar Association/American Law Institute, 1993 - 1995 (Member, Committee on Continuing Professional Education)
- American Bar Association/American Law Network, 1993 - 1995 (Member, Board of Directors)
- American Bar Association, Member, Committee on State Administrative, 1990 - 1995 (Law, Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice)
- American Bar Association, Member, 1990 - 1993 (Committee on Caribbean Law, Section of International Law and Practice)
- American Bar Association, 1990 - 1991 (Member, Young Lawyers Division, Committee on Community Law Week)
- American Bar Association, 1991 (Vice Chair, Young Lawyers Division, Committee on Community Law Week)
- Attorney Liability Protection Society, Inc., 1995 - 2001 (Member, Board of Directors)
- National Association of Parliamentarians (Member)
- St. Thomas Reformed Church, 1993 - 1994 (Clerk)
- St. Thomas Reformed Church, 1992 - 1998 (Consistory)
- St. Thomas Reformed Church, 1992 - 1998 (Member, Board of Deacons)
- Blackbeard's Hill Neighborhood Association, 1988 - 1996 (President)
- Blackbeard's Hill Neighborhood Association, 1988 - 1996 (Member, Board of Directors)
- St. Thomas-St. John Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency, 1993 (Treasurer)
- St. Thomas-St. John Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency, 1992 - 1994 (Member, Board of Directors)
- Virgin Islands Youth Multi-Service Center, 1990 - 1994 (Member, Board of Directors)
- Rotary Club of St. Thomas II, 1991 - 1992 (Sergeant at Arms)
- Rotary Club of St. Thomas II (Member, Board of Directors, 1987-1989, 1990-1992)
- St. Thomas Historical Trust, 1987 - 1988 (Secretary)
- St. Thomas Historical Trust, 1987 - 1990 (Member, Board of Directors)
- Virgin Islands Democratic Party, 1982 - 1992 (Territorial Committeeman)
- South Carolina Democratic Party, 1980 - 1982 (Vice Chairman)
- South Carolina Democratic Party, 1980 - 1982 (Member, State Executive Committee)
- Friends of the Enid M. Baa Public Library, 1994 - 1998 (Member, Board of Directors)
- Friends of the Enid M. Baa Public Library, 1995 - 1998 (President)
- National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, 1988 - Present (Commissioner)
- Drafting Committee on Nondepository Providers of Financial Services, 1996 - Present (Chair)
- United States Virgin Islands Freenet, Member, Board of Directors 1995- (1997, Chair, Finance Committee 1996-1998)
- American Bar Association, 1996 - 1998 (Member, State and Local Bar Committee)
Classes and Seminars
- Affordable Housing, USDA Farmers Home Administration, United States Virgin Island Housing Authority, 1996 - Present
- U.S.V.I. Law Revision Commission, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands, Executive Director and Legal Counsel, -
- President and Majority Leader, Legislature of the Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands, Counsel, -
- Legislature of the Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands, Assistant Legislative Counsel, -
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
J.D., Juris Doctorate
- Wofford College, Spartanburg, South Carolina
B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Honors: National Dean's List, Frank Hoke Leadership Scholarship
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina
Honors: Candidate, Masters in Public Administration
Fraternities and Sororities
- Phi Delta Phi
- Delta Sigma Phi
- Chase Manhattan Bank
Accepts Credit Cards
- Virgin Islands Criminal Code (Editor), June, 1990
- Virgin Islands Session Laws (Editor), 1987-1990
- Virgin Islands Business Journal (Member, Advisory Board), 1994-1996
Suite 202Tutu Park Mall St Thomas, VI 00802- 1816
- (340) 776-1639
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.