Enter legal issue and location
700 Broadway Ave E Pierre, SD 57501- 2586
State of South Dakota, Office of the Attorney General (Main Office) 1302 E. Hwy. 14 Suite 1 Pierre, SD 57501 - 8501 (605) 773-3215
State of South Dakota Commerce & Reg Dept 500 E Capitol Pierre, SD 57501 - 5070
State of South Dakota Social Services Dept. Child Support Enfrcemnt 700 Governors Dr Pierre, SD 57501 - 2291 (605) 773-3641
State of South Dakota Public Utilities Comm 500 E Capitol Pierre, SD 57501 - 5070
State of South Dakota Revenue Dept. Legal Division 445 E Capitol Ave Pierre, SD 57501 (605) 773-4701
State of South Dakota Commerce & Reg Dept. Insurance Division 910 E Sioux Pierre, SD 57501 - 3940 (605) 773-3563
State of South Dakota Board of Regents 207 E Capital Pierre, SD 57501 - 3160 (605) 773-3455
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.