Enter legal issue and location
DeLand Personal Injury Lawyer
Mr. Elkind's litigation practice involves a broad range of matters including commercial disputes, serious personal injuries and numerous disputes involving governmental entities. His recognized expertise in both civil trial law and local government law makes him particularly well suited to handle issues unique to local government claims such as sovereign immunity, land use denials and regulatory matters. Mr. Elkind also represents landowners and developers in select parts of Volusia County in every phase of the land development process and represents clients in administrative proceedings before state and local agencies in matters ranging from licensing to environmental compliance.
Mr. Elkind serves as City Attorney for the City of DeLand and as a special magistrate for the City of Sanford's code enforcement proceedings. He has represented various governmental entities in a range of disputes and advises governmental entities on issues ranging from sovereign immunity to the Sunshine Law.
Mr. Elkind also contributes time to the community, having been a past president and Community Service Director of the DeBary/Deltona/Orange City Rotary Club, a Director of the Volusia Flagler Family YMCA, and as an adjunct professor of Ethics and Law at Stetson University.
About Darren J. Elkind
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Commercial Litigation
- Municipal Law
- Land Use & Zoning
- Geico Gen. Ins. Co. v. Hollingsworth, 157 So. 3d 365 (review denied), 177 So. 1265 (Fla. 5th DCA 2015)
- Pappalardo v. Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, 46 So. 3d 64 (Fla. 5th DCA 2010)
- Delco Oil, Inc. v. Pannu, 856 So.2d 1070 (Fla. 5th DCA 2003)
- Nevarez v. Friskney, 817 So.2d 856 (Fla. 5th DCA 2002)
- Danforth Orthopedic Brace & Limb, Inc. v. Florida Health Care Plan, Inc., 750 So.2d 774 (Fla. 5th DCA 2000)
- Racetrac Petroleum, Inc. v. Delco Oil, Inc., 721 So.2d 376 (Fla. 5th DCA 1998)
- Florida, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1995
- Volusia County Bar Association (Member)
- The Florida Bar (City, County & Local Government Law Section)
- DeBary/Deltona Rotary Club (Past President, Current Community Service Chair)
- Volusia Flagler Family YMCA ( Director)
- Volusia Civil Trial Attorneys' Association (Officer)
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York, 1994
- University of Tampa, Tampa, FL, 1991
Offers Free Initial Consultation
Accepts Credit Cards
142 E. New York Avenue DeLand, FL 32724
Other Sources of Feedback About Darren J. Elkind
Included on the 2023 Florida list
- 2022 Florida Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Florida Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Florida Super Lawyers list
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.