Enter legal issue and location
Atlanta Admiralty Law Firm
- Law Firm Info
- Go through email verification, and reviewers must verify their email addresses.
- Can be confirmed and flagged as a verified client by law firms.
- Can be reported and subjected to removal if they violate FindLaw.com's Terms of Service.
FindLaw.com is doing its part in combating fake reviews. All reviews:
Click here to view our Terms of Service.
About David J. Bederman
- Admiralty Law 20%
- Constitutional Law 30%
- International Law 20%
- Litigation & Appeals 30%
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, July 1, 2006 - Present
- Admiralty Cases and Materials, Lexis-Nexis, 2005
- International Law: A Handbook for Judges, American Society of International Law, 2003
- The Spirit of International Law, University of Georgia Press, 2002
- International Law Frameworks, Foundation Press, 2010
- International Claims: Their Settlement by Lump Sum Agreements, 1975-1995 (with Burns H. Weston and Richard B. Lillich), Transnational Publishers, 1999
- Admiralty Jurisdiction, 31 J. Mar. L. & Com. 189, 2000
- Deference or Deception: Treaty Rights as Political Questions, 70 U. Col. L. Rev. 1439, 1997
- Admiralty and the Eleventh Amendment, 72 Note Dame L. Rev. 935, 1997
- Uniformity, Delegation and the Dormant Admiralty Clause, 28 J. Mar. L. & Com. 1, 1997
- The Curious Resurrection of Custom: Beach Access and Judicial Takings, 96 Colum. L. Rev. 1375, 1996
- Contemporary Contours of Admiralty Jurisdiction, 31 Tulane Mar. L. J. 291, 2007
- Reforming the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, 40 Colum. J. Transnat'l L. 489, 2001
- Globalization and International Law, Palgrave MacMillan, 2008
- Salvage, Benedict on Admiralty, vol. 8, 2001
- Refusing Salvage, 6 Loyola Mar. L.J. 27, 2008
Classes and Seminars
- Professor of Law, Emory Universiy School of Law, 1991 - Present
- Lucas v. South Carolina Coastal Council, 505 U.S. 1003 (1992)
- Smith v. United States, 507 U.S. 197 (1993)
- Hess v. Port Authority Trans-Hudson, 513 U.S. 30 (1994)
- Idaho v. Coeur d'Alene Tribe, 117 S.Ct. 2028 (1997)
- California v. Deep Sea Research, 118 S.Ct. 1464 (1998)
- United States v. Locke, 529 U.S. 89 (U.S. Supreme Court 2000)
- Lapides v. Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, 535 U.S. 613 (U.S. Supreme Court 2002)
- Syngenta Crop Protection, Inc. v. Henson, 537 U.S. 28 (U.S. Supreme Court 2002)
- Norfolk Southern Railway Co. v. Kirby, 543 U.S. 14 (U.S. Supreme Court 2004)
- Republic of Austria v. Altmann, 541 U.S. 677 (U.S. Supreme Court 2004)
- Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Line, Ltd., 125 S.Ct. 2169 (U.S. Supreme Court 2005)
- RMS Titanic, Inc. v. Wrecked and Abandoned Vessel, 435 F.3d 521 (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit 2006)
- Northern Ins. Co. of NY v. Chatham County, Georgia, 126 S.Ct. 1193 (U.S. Supreme Court 2006)
- United States v. Tatoyan, 474 F.3d 1174 (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit 2007)
- Ministry of Defense v. Elahi, 546 U.S. 450 (U.S. Supreme Court 2006)
- Ministry of Defense v. Elahi, 129 S.Ct. 1732 (U.S. Supreme Court 2009)
- R.M.S. Titanic, Inc. v. Wrecked Vessel, 2010 WL 3239112 (U.S. District Court, E. D. Va. 2010)
- David J. Bederman (Sole Practitioner)
1301 Clifton Road Atlanta, GA 30322- 2770
- (404) 727-6820
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.