Enter legal issue and location
Richmond Family Law Lawyer
About Brandy M. Poss
Current Employment Position(s)
- Family Law
- Appellate Practice
- Yazdani v. Sazegar, 76 Va. App. 261, 880 S.E.2d 865 (2022)
- Remillard v. Remillard, Record No. 1063-21-2, 2022 Va. App. LEXIS 417 (Va. Ct. App. September 6, 2022)
- Brian Myers, Record No. 0748-21-2, 2022 Va. App. LEXIS 389 (Va. Ct. App. August 23, 2022)
- Prentice v. Cook, Record No. 0836-21-4, 2022 Va. App. LEXIS 231 (Va. Ct. App. June 14, 2022)
- Avgeris v. Avgeris, Record No. 0625-21-3 (Va. Ct. App. November 3, 2021)
- Marinaro v. Marinaro, 73 Va. App. 424, 861 S.E.2d 69 (2021)
- Little v. Hale, Record No. 0022-21-2 (Va. Ct. App. July 20, 2021)
- Clavin v. Clavin, Record No. 1324-20-2, 2021 Va. App. LEXIS 108 (Va. Ct. App. July 6, 2021)
- Myers v. Myers, Record No. 0943-19-2, 2020 Va. App. LEXIS 111 (Va. Ct. App. April 14, 2020)
- Robertson v. Robertson, Record No. 0017-17-2, 2017 Va. App. LEXIS 278 (Va. Ct. App., November 7, 2017)
- Jones v. Gates, 68 Va. App. 100, 803 S.E.2d 361 (2017)
- Reaves v. Tucker, 67 Va. App. 719, 800 S.E.2d 188 (2017)
- Jones v. Jones, Record No. 0062-15-2, 2016 Va. App. LEXIS 29 (Va. Ct. App., February 2, 2016)
- Belle v. Belle, Record No. 0540-15-2, 2016 Va. App. LEXIS 15 (Va. Ct. App., January 19, 2016)
- Coalson v. Coalson, Record No. 2022-14-2, 2015 Va. App. LEXIS 222 (Va. Ct. App., July 21, 2015)
- Hutchinson v. Hutchinson, Record No. 0392-14-3, 2014 Va. App. LEXIS 398 (Va. Ct. App., December 9, 2014)
- Cleary v. Cleary, 63 Va. App. 364, 757 S.E.2d 588 (2014)
- Smith v. Smith, Record No. 1018-13-2, 2013 Va. App. LEXIS 351 (Va. Ct. App., December 3, 2013)
- James v. Owens, Record No. 1830-12-1, 2013 Va. App. LEXIS 203 (Va. Ct. App., July 16, 2013)
- Tsoucalas v. Tsoucalas, Record No. 1560-12-1, 2013 Va. App. LEXIS 144 (Va. Ct. App., May 7, 2013)
- Hamad v. Hamad, 61 Va. App. 593, 739 S.E.2d 232 (2013)
- Wright v. Wright, 61 Va. App. 432, 737 S.E.2d 519 (2013)
- Smith v. Smith, Record No. 2069-11-2, 2012 Va. App. LEXIS 308 (Va. Ct. App., October 2, 2012)
- Robinson v. Robinson, Record No. 0694-12-2, 2012 Va. App. LEXIS 293 (Va. Ct. App., September 11, 2012)
- Jordan v. Jordan, Record No. 0698-11-2, 2012 Va. App. LEXIS 211 (Va. Ct. App., June 26, 2012)
- Burton v. Burton, Record No. 1931-11-4, 2012 Va. App. LEXIS 96 (Va. Ct. App., April 3, 2012)
- Pramagioulis v. Pramagioulis, Record No. 1437-10-2, 2011 Va. App. LEXIS 20 (Va. Ct. App., January 25, 2011)
- Blackwell v. Blackwell, Record No. 1229-10-2, 2010 Va. App. LEXIS 479 (Va. Ct. App., December 14, 2010)
- Tucker v. Wilmoth-Tucker, Record No. 2008-09-2, 2010 Va. App. LEXIS 199 (Va. Ct. App., May 18, 2010)
- Lane v. Lane, Record No. 0951-09-4, 2009 Va. App. LEXIS 406 (Va. Ct. App., September 15, 2009)
- Williams v. Williams, Record No. 1176-08-2, 2009 Va. App. LEXIS 331 (Va. Ct. App., July 21, 2009)
- Harber v. Harber, Record No. 2956-08-1, 2009 Va. App. LEXIS 303 (Va. Ct. App., July 7, 2009)
- Nunez v. Nunez, Record No. 2020-08-4, 2009 Va. App. LEXIS 295 (Va. Ct. App., June 30, 2009)
- Broadhead v. Broadhead, 51 Va. App. 170, 655 S.E.2d 748 (2008)
- Kandill v. Kandill, Record No. 0036-08-4, 2008 Va. App. LEXIS 525 (Va. Ct. App., December 2, 2008)
- Hickman v. Broaddus, Record No. 0723-06-2, 2007 Va. App. LEXIS 197 (Va. Ct. App., May 15, 2007)
- Virginia, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Chesterfield County / City of Colonial Heights 2017 Rule of Law Program Planning Committee
- Bench-Bar Conference Planning Committee (Richmond Bar Association)
Classes and Seminars
- Virginia Family Law Practice for Paralegals, Preparing for Family Law Appeals, 2014
- National Business Institute, Advanced Issues in Family and Divorce Law, Advanced Parenting / Adoption Issues, 2014
Pro Bono Activities
- Chesterfield County/City of Colonial Heights, Rule of Law Program Planning Committee, - 2017
- Defazio Bal Law Firm, 2014 - 2018
- Barnes & Diehl, P.C., 2003 - 2014
- University of Richmond, School of Law, Richmond, Virginia, 2003
Honors: cum laude
Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Senior Staff Member, 2001 - 2003
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 1999
Accepts Credit Cards
- What Every Virginia Lawyer Should Know About Divorce in Virginia, Virginia CLE 2014
- What Every Virginia Lawyer Should Know About Divorce, Virginia CLE, 2011
- Ethics in Family Law, National Center for Family Law, 2010
- Relocation of Children in Virginia, Virginia CLE, Bench Bar Conference, 2009
- Update on the Law: Recent Cases, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, 2007
- Update on the Law: Recent Cases, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, 2006
- Update on the Law: Recent Cases, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, 2005
- Update on the Law: Recent Cases, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, 2004
- Confidentiality and other Ethical Issues Raised When Using Electronic Evidence, Including Electronic Surveillance, Virginia State Bar, Advanced Family Law Seminar, 2004
7401 Beaufont Springs DriveSuite 200 Richmond, VA 23225
Other Sources of Feedback About Brandy M. Poss
Included on the 2023 Virginia list
- 2022 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- Selected as a “Go to Lawyer” for Appellate Law, by Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2023
- Selected to Super Lawyers in Virginia, by Richmond Magazine Law & Politics (2014-2023)
- Voted a Rising Star Super Lawyers in Virginia, by Richmond Magazine Law & Politics (2009-2013)
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America Family Law (2024)
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.