Enter legal issue and location
Council Bluffs Personal Injury Lawyer
About Robert Livingston
Current Employment Position(s)
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Civil Rights
- Iowa Communities Assurance Pool
- Public Entity Risk Services, Inc.
- York Risk Services Group
- American Risk Pooling Consultants, Inc.
- State Farm Fire and Casualty
- General Casualty
- Assisted Housing Risk Management Association
- Numerous private individuals and companies
- Meyer v. Birkey, 2015 WL 7300538 (N.D. Iowa, November 18, 2015) (ND Iowa 2015)
- HLG Farms II, LLC, v. City of Hamburg, 619 Fed. Appx. 562 (8th Cir. October 22, 2015) (8th Cir 2015)
- Mayhugh v. Dea, 871 N.W.2d 704 (Iowa Ct. App. 2015) (Iowa Ct. App 2015)
- Lakin v. Richards Farm Ltd., 862 N.W.2d 414 (Iowa Ct. App. 2015) (Iowa Ct. App 2015)
- In re Marriage of Schmadeke, 856 N.W.2d 2 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (Iowa Ct. App 2014)
- MGM Apartments, LLC, v. Mid-Century Ins. Co., 844 N.W.2d 469 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (Iowa Ct. App 2014)
- Aguilera v. Wright County Iowa, 990 F.Supp.2d 926 (N.D. Iowa 2014) (ND Iowa 2014)
- Phelps v. Powers, 5 F.Supp.2d 1036 (S.D. Iowa 2013) (SD Iowa 2013)
- Oshlo Wilkinson Dairy Queen v. Blume, 860 N.W.2d 924 (Iowa Ct. App. December 24, 2014) (Iowa Ct. App 2014)
- Phelps v. Powers, 90 F.Supp.3d 833 (S.D. Iowa January 22, 2015) (SD Iowa 2015)
- Phelps v. Powers, 63 F.Supp.3d 943 (S.D. Iowa December 3, 2014) (SD Iowa 2014)
- Aguilera v. Wright County Iowa, 50 F.Supp.3d 1057 (N.D. Iowa October 6, 2014) (ND Iowa 2014)
- Phelps v. Powers, 295 F.R.D. 349 (S.D. Iowa October 31, 2013) (SD Iowa 2013)
- Hansen-Mueller Co. v. Gau, 838 N.W.2d 138 (Iowa Ct. App. August 21, 2013) (Iowa Ct. App 2013)
- Chicago Ins. Co v. City of Council Bluffs, 713 F.3d 963 (8th Cir. April 30, 2013) (8th Cir 2013)
- Woodward v. Monona County Bd of Sup'rs, 825 N.W.2d 327 (Iowa Ct. App. November 15, 2012) (Iowa Ct. App 2012)
- Harrington v. City of Council Bluffs, 2012 WL 1470266 (8th Cir. April 30, 2012) (8th Cir 2012)
- Genesis Ins. Co. v. City of Council Bluffs, 2012 WL 1648842 (8th Cir. May 11, 2012) (8th Cir 2012)
- Harrington v. Wilber, 743 F.Supp.2d 1013 (S.D. Iowa 2010) (SD Iowa 2010)
- Harrington v. Wilber, 743 F.Supp.2d 1006 (S.D. Iowa 2010) (SD Iowa 2010)
- Collier v. Swede, LLC, 777 N.W.2d 129 (Iowa App. 2009) (Iowa App 2009)
- Baker v. Boyle, 327 Fed. Appx. 600 (8th Cir. 2009) (8th Cir 2009)
- McGhee v. Pottawattamie County Iowa, 547 F.3d 922 (8th Cir. 2008), cert (8th Cir 2008)
- McGhee v. Pottawattamie County, 475 F.Supp.2d (S.D. Iowa 2007) (SD Iowa 2007)
- Sylvester v. Mills County, 760 N.W.2d 209 (Iowa App. 2008) (Iowa App 2008)
- Weimer v. International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., 2007 WL 1959103 (N.D. Iowa July 3, 2007) (ND Iowa 2007)
- Kuiper v. International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. , 240 F.R.D. 438 (N.D. Iowa 2007) (ND Iowa 2007)
- Frazier v. Winfield, 252 Fed. Appx. 117 (8th Cir. 2007) (8th Cir 2007)
- Remmes v. International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., 453 F.Supp.2d 1058 (N.D. Iowa 2006) (ND Iowa 2006)
- Weimer v. International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., 2006 WL 3422161 (N.D. Iowa Nov. 28, 2006) (ND Iowa 2006)
- Kuiper v. International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., 2006 WL 3422058 (N.D. Iowa Nov. 28, 2006) (ND Iowa 2006)
- VW Enterprises, Inc. v. City of Clarinda, 2006 WL 2872096 (Iowa App. Oct. 11, 2006) (Iowa App 2006)
- Wildner v. Wendorff, 723 N.W.2d 451 (Iowa App. 2006) (Iowa App 2006)
- In re Marriage of Wallace, 711 N.W.2d 732 (Iowa App. 2006) (Iowa App 2006)
- Remmes v. International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., 389 F.Supp.2d 1080 (N.D. Iowa 2005) (ND Iowa 2005)
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 2002
- Iowa, 2000
- Nebraska, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2002
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2008
- U.S. District Court District of South Dakota
- South Dakota, 2018
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 2016 - Present (Member)
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2012 - Present (Fellow and Board Member)
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, May 1, 2016 - Present (Member)
- Iowa State Bar Association, February 1, 2012 - June 1, 2019 (Board of Governors)
- Pottawattamie County Bar Association, August 1, 2000 - Present (Member)
- Pottawattamie County Bar Association, January 1, 2009 - January 1, 2010 (Former President)
- American Bar Association, March 1, 2016 - July 1, 2017 (Council Member-at-Large GPSolo Division)
- American Bar Association, August 1, 2015 - July 1, 2017 (Committee member corporate sponsorship GPSolo)
- Iowa State Bar Association, 2000 - Present (Member)
- Iowa Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Division, 1997 - 2010 (Member)
- Iowa Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Division, 2004 - 2008 (President)
- Pottawattamie County Bar Association, 2008 - 2009 (Vice-President)
Classes and Seminars
- Iowa Court of Appeals Caselaw Update 2016, Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, February 24, 2017 - Present
- "Litigation: Essential Apps and Websites for Litigators", Iowa Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 20, 2017 - Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Education of the Lewis Central School District, 2009 - 2017
- Commissioner of the West Pottawattamie County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Southwest Regional Office Advisory Council for Iowa Legal Aid, Chair, 2015 - 2018
- Southwest Regional Office Advisory Council for Iowa Legal Aid, Member, 2014 - 2018
- Children’s Square USA, Board of Directors, 2011 - 2017
- Iowa State Bar Review School, Inc., Member, 1997 - 2010
- Iowa State Bar Review School, Inc., President, 2004 - 2008
- Southwest Iowa Lawyer League, Member, 2000 - Present
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa, May, 2000
Honors: With Honors
- Colorado State University, May, 1993
Major: Exercise Sport Science
Minor: Anatomy Neurobiology
- Iowa State University, May, 2000
Major: Higher Education Administration/Student Affairs
- Southwest Iowa Lawyer League – Is Your Tablet, Phone, or other Device Protecting Confidential Client Information? (and other ethical technology concerns), March 4, 2016
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Advocacy Institute, Issues and Strategies for the Trial Lawyer – Is Your Tablet, Phone, or other Device Protecting Confidential Client Information?, February 26, 2016
- Pottawattamie County Bar Association – Sole Practitioner Rules: Iowa Rule 39.18 & 45.11, January 15, 2016
- Iowa Fourth Judicial District Bench Bar Conference – 2015 Appellate Case Law Review, October 26, 2015
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Advocacy Institute co-presented with George Davidson – Appellate Case Law Update (Opinions of the Court of Appeals), February 22, 2013 - February 24, 2012
- Iowa County Attorney Training Conference – Prosecutorial Immunity, November 11, 2011
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Advocacy Institute – Motion Practice, February 25, 2010
300 West BroadwaySuite 175 Council Bluffs, IA 51503
- (712) 322-6243
Other Sources of Feedback About Robert Livingston
Included on the 2023 Great Plains list
- 2022 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Great Plains Super Lawyers list
- U.S. News and World Report Best Lawyers - Insurance Law, January 1, 2016 - Present
- Life Fellow, Iowa State Bar Foundation, March 1, 2014 - Present
- Fellow, Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, February 1, 2012 - Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Ranking, January 1, 2011 - Present
- Lawyers.com 5.0 of 5.0 Client Ranking, January 1, 2011 - Present
- Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyer Award of Merit, June 1, 2008 - Present
- Super Lawyers – Insurance Law, 2017 - Present
- Council Bluffs 20 under 40, 2009
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.