Enter legal issue and location
Miami Business Law Lawyer
About Annette C. Escobar
Current Employment Position(s)
- Business Law
- Commercial Litigation
- In re Consorcio Ecuadorian Telecommunicaciones S.A., 2014 WL 104132 (11th Cir. 2014), vacating 685 F.3d 987 (11th Cir. 2012)
- Chandler v. The Town of Greenacres, 2014 WL 2589180 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014)
- Lozman v. City of Rivera Beach, 133 S. Ct. 735, 184 L.Ed.2d 604, 81 (U.S. 2013)
- In re Consocio Ecuatoiano de Telecommunicaciones S.A., 2014 WL 104132 (11th Cir. 2014), vacating 685 F.3d 987 (11th Cir. 2012)
- Suzuki Motor Corp. v. Jiujiang Hison Motor Boat Mfg., 2012 WL 529967 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 2012), 2012 WL 640700 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 2012), 2012 WL 2873727 (S.D. Fla. 2012), 2013 WL 4516042 (S.D. Fla. 2013)
- In re Application of Mesa Power Group, LLC, 878 F. Supp.2d 1296 (S.D. Fla. 2012)
- McLane v. Marriott International, Inc., Case No. 11-11860-H (11th Cir. 2011)
- In re Application of Alves Braga, 272 F.R.D. 621 (S.D. Fla. 2011)
- McLane v. Marriott International, Inc., 2011 WL 1131133 (S.D. Fla. Mar. 25, 2011)
- Dubai World Corp. v. Jaubert, 2011 WL 579213 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 8, 2011)
- In re Application of DVLP LLC, 2010 WL 3781567 (M.D. Fla. Sept. 23, 2010)
- IMX, Inc. v. E-Loan, Inc., 748 F. Supp. 2d 1354, 2010 WL 4321538 (S.D. Fla. Apr. 21, 2010)
- Gutierrez v. Gutierrez, 14 So. 3d 1250 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009)
- Gregory v. EBF & Assocs., LLP, 595 F. Supp. 2d 1334 (S.D. Fla. 2009)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Gutierrez, 992 So. 2d 413 (Fla. 3d. DCA 2008)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Gutierrez, 993 So. 2d 531 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Gutierrez, 240 Fed. Appx. 822, 2007 WL 1667229 (11th Cir. June 11, 2007)
- Rintin Corp. S.A. v. Domar, Ltd., 476 F.3d 1254 (11th Cir. 2007)
- Rintin Corp., S.A. v. Domar, Ltd., 2006 WL 936706 (11th Cir. 2006)
- Dennis Pub., Inc. v. 1801, LLC, 2006 WL 2691456 (M.D. Fla. Sept. 19, 2006)
- Paiz v. Castellanos, 2006 WL 2578807 (S.D. Fla. Aug. 26, 2006)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Bosch Gutierrez, 441 F. Supp. 2d 1233 (S.D. Fla. July 18, 2006)
- HSN Capital LLC v. Productora Y Comercializador de Televisión, S.A. de CV. (México), 2006 WL 1876941 (M.D. Fla. July 6, 2006)
- Salazar v. Telemundo Network Group LLC, 2006 WL 1650723 (Fla. Cir. Ct. May 30, 2006)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Bosch Gutierrez, Case No. 3D-137 (Fla. 3d DCA 2006)
- Rintin Corp. S.A. v. Domar, Ltd., 403 F. Supp. 2d 1201 (S.D. Fla. 2005)
- Bisson v. de Arellano, 909 So. 2d 917 (Fla. 3d DCA 2005)
- Warter v. Boston Securities, S.A., 380 F. Supp. 2d 1299 (S.D. Fla. 2004)
- Telemax Entertainment, Inc. v. Telemundo Network, Inc., 2004 WL 3019373 (S.D. Fla. Dec. 16, 2004)
- Hernandez Perez v. Citibank, N.A., 328 F. Supp. 2d 1374 (S.D. Fla. 2004)
- Warter v. Boston Securities, S.A., 2004 WL 691787 (S.D. Fla. Mar 22, 2004)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Juan Luis Bosch Gutierrez, 873 So. 2d 596 (Fla. 3d DCA 2004)
- May Inv., Inc. v. Lisa, S.A., 2002 WL 341843 (Fla. 3d DCA Mar. 6, 2002)
- Lisa, S.A. v. Gutierrez, 806 So. 2d 557 (Fla. 3d DCA 2002)
- Florida, 2000
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
Specialties and Certifications
- International Litigation and Arbitration, Florida Bar, 2019
- Certified Financial Crime Specialist (CFCS)
- American Bar Association, 2000
- Florida Bar Journal Editorial Board, 2003 – 2007, Chair 2006
- Appellate Court Rules Committee, 2007-2012, Secretary 2011
- Florida Bar Association, 2000 - Present
- Florida Bar: Media and Communications Law Committee, Florida Bar Media Awards, Co-Chair, 2002, 2019 - 2020
- International Law Section of the Florida Bar, 2004 – Present
- 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, 2011
- Southern Districts of Florida, 2001
- Northern District of Florida, 2001
- Middle District of Florida, 2004
- Dade County Bar Association, 2002 – Present
- Cuban American Bar Association, 2004
- Board of the Florida Bar Journal
- Secretary of the Florida Appellate Committee of the Florida Bar
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top 100 Female Lawyers 2018-19
- Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders
- Who’s Who Legal: Fraud and Asset Recovery
- South Florida Legal Guide’s Top Lawyers
- Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, 2018, 2010-15
- Who’s Who Legal, Thought Leaders: Asset Recovery 2018-2019
- South Florida's Legal Guide Top Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Latin America's top 100 Female Lawyer by Latinvex 2018-2019
- Super Lawyer designation by Super Lawyers 2017
- Asset Recovery, Who’s Who Legal, 2012 - 2017
- Thought Leader Asset Recovery, Who’s Who Legal, 2017 - 2019
- Women in Restructuring, Global Restructuring Review 2017-2019
- Top up-and-coming attorney by Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2008 - 2014
- Rising Star by Florida Super Lawyers 2010-2015
- To up and comers, South Florida Legal Guide, 2012-2014
- Top Lawyers, South Florida Legal Guide 2015-2019
- Latino Who’s Who, 2014
- American Registry, Top Attorneys in Florida 2019
Classes and Seminars
- “DEMYSTIFYING CORPORATE STRUCTURES,” Speaker, INSOL INTERNATIONAL, SEMINAR, Peter Island, Tortola, BVI, November 16, 2016
- SNAKE IN THE GRASS, Speaker, Offshore Alert, Miami, Florida, May 3, 2015
- WHERE IS THE MONEY? CHASING AND PROTECTING THE ASSETS BEFORE AND AFTER INSOLVENCY IN THE INTERNATIONAL ARENA, AIJA Santa Margherita, Italy September 2014
- YOUR FIRST INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION: DO'S AND DON'TS, American Bar Association, Scottsdale Arizona, February 10, 2014
- LEGAL AND FORENSIC ACCOUNTING PERSPECTIVES, NY Chapter of CFEs, International Investigations, New York, New York, October 25, 2013
- HOW TO TRACE AND RECOVER ASSETS ACROSS NATIONAL BORDERS, INSOL International Seminar, Cartagena, Colombia, October 2012
- SHOULD WE STAY OR SHOULD WE GO?, ABA Section of International Law, Fall Meeting, Miami, Florida, 2009
- NPR article and radio appearance, SUNSET MANSIONS VS. SUNSHINE LAWS: DO SHELL COMPANIES DARKEN FLORIDA'S IMAGE 2016
- INSOL International conferences in Colombia 2012 and 2016
- British Virgin Islands
- AIJA conference in Santa Margherita, Italy
- Astigarraga Davis Mullins & Grossman, Attorney/Partner, 2000 - 2016
- Sequor Law (Successor to 1), Senior Counsel/Partner, 2016 - 2018
- St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami Gardens, Florida, 2000
Honors: cum laude
Honors: Salutatorian equivalent
Law Review: St. Thomas Law Review, Board Member, 2019 - 2020
- University of Miami, Miami, Florida, 1997
Honors: High Honors
Major: International Finance and Marketing
Major: Business Management and Organization
Minor: Computer Information Systems
Offers Free Initial Consultation
Accepts Credit Cards
- In re Consorcio Ecuadoriano Telecommunicaciones, S.A., 2014 WL 104132 (11th Cir. 2014), vacating 685 F.3d 987(11th Cir. 2012): successfully obtained affirmance on appeal of order permitting 28 U.S.C. 1782 action to obtain discovery in support of reasonably contemplated foreign litigation
- In re Application of Mesa Power Group, LLC, 878 F. Supp. 2d 1296 (S.D. Fla. 2012): granting motion for assistance under 28 U.S.C. 1782 for use in NAFTA proceedings commenced in Canada
- In re Application of Alves Braga, 272 F.R.D. 621 (S.D. Fla. 2011): granting motion for assistance under 28 U.S.C. 1782 for use in foreign liquidation pending in Brazil
- In re Application of DVLP LLC, 2010 WL 3781567 (M.D. Fla. Sept. 23, 2010): granting application for judicial assistance in favor of foreign proceedings pending in Anguilla
- Guttierrez v. Gutierrez, 14 So. 3d 1250 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009): on behalf of intervenor, the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, successfully obtained affirmance of order denying motion to vacate judgment based upon alleged fraud for failure to disclose asset in marital settlement agreement.
- “Asset Recoveries from Fraud and Corruption Are on the Rise” (author), in: MIAMI HERALD MEDIA COMPANY SOUTH FLORIDA LEGAL GUIDE, May 7, 2018 Edition.
- “Open issue – potential claims for fraudulent transfer and avoidance” (co-author), in: GLOBAL RESTRUCTURING REVIEW, CROSS-BORDER INSOLVENCY AND RESTRUCTURING NEWS, FEATURES AND EVENTS, Kyriaki Karadelis (Ed.), March 2017: 30. Law Business Research Ltd.
- “Claim and relief available in cross-border bankruptcies – equitable and pre and post-judgment remedies” (co-author), in: GLOBAL RESTRUCTURING REVIEW, CROSS-BORDER INSOLVENCY AND RESTRUCTURING NEWS, FEATURES AND EVENTS, Kyriaki Karadelis (Ed.), September 2016: 32. Law Business Research Ltd.
- “Claim and relief available in cross-border bankruptcies – limitless possibilities” (co-author), in: GLOBAL RESTRUCTURING REVIEW, CROSS-BORDER INSOLVENCY AND RESTRUCTURING NEWS, FEATURES AND EVENTS, Kyriaki Karadelis (Ed.), August 2016: 29. Law Business Research Ltd.
- “Why Fraudsters Should Fear Cross-Border Insolvency” (co-author), in: GLOBAL RESTRUCTURING REVIEW, CROSS-BORDER INSOLVENCY AND RESTRUCTURING NEWS, FEATURES AND EVENTS, Kyriaki Karadelis (Ed.), May 2016: 19. Law Business Research Ltd.
- “Why Fraudsters Should Fear Cross-Border Insolvency?” (co-author), in: GLOBAL RESTRUCTURING REVIEW, CROSS-BORDER INSOLVENCY AND RESTRUCTURING NEWS, FEATURES AND EVENTS, Kyriaki Karadelis (Ed.), April 2016: 14. Law Business Research Ltd.
- OH THE PLACES YOU’LL GO!, FORUM SHOPPING AND FILING INSOLVENCY PROCEEDINGS IN A GLOBAL LEGAL WORLD, United States Report on Insolvency, receiving award for best national report at AIJA’s 53rd Annual Congress
- Enforcement of Foreign Country Judgments in the United States, ASSET TRACING AND RECOVERY, THE FRAUDNET WORLD COMPENDIUM (B. Klose ed. __), co-authored with Edward H. Davis, Jr. (pending publication).
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Enforcement of Foreign Country Money Judgments in the United States, (co-author), in AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL PRACTITIONER’S DESKBOOK SERIES: INTERNATIONAL LITIGATION STRATEGIES AND PRACTICE, 2D ED. (Barton Legum, et al. eds., 2014).
- Enforcement of Foreign Country Judgments in the United States, ASSET TRACING AND RECOVERY, THE FRAUDNET WORLD COMPENDIUM (B. Klose ed. 2009), co-authored with Edward H. Davis, Jr.
- A Practical Guide to Enforcement of Foreign Country Money Judgments in the United States, INTERNATIONAL LITIGATION STRATEGIES AND PRACTICES, ABA Section of Int’l Law Publication (B. Legum ed. 2005), co-authored with Edward H. Davis, Jr.
- Federal Arbitration Act Under Congressional Attack: Recent Efforts to Create Exceptions to the FAA (Spring 2003), Co-Author with Edward M. Mullins.
- Staying a Money Judgment in Federal Court Without Posting a Supersedeas Bond, The Florida Bar Website, December 2003, Co-Author with Edward M. Mullins.
- Expanded Judicial Review of Arbitral Awards – Some Drafting Thoughts, The International Arbitration News, Vol. 1, No. 2, 10 (Summer 2001), Co-Author with Jose I Astigarraga.
- Florida Bar Legal Citations, The Reporter’s Handbook, Media Law Center, Florida Bar Website (2000), Co-Author with Edward M. Mullins.
- Aggravating the Immigration Paradox: The Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act’s Effect on U.S. Immigration Policy, 11 ST. THOMAS L. REV. 445 (1999).
201 S. Biscayne Blvd.8th Floor Miami, FL 33131
Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m., Sat - Sun: Closed
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.