Enter legal issue and location
Indianapolis Civil Litigation Lawyer
Mr. Kautzman was elected as the 2005 President of the Indianapolis Bar Association and remains on the IBA Board of Directors...
Mr. Kautzman was elected as the 2005 President of the Indianapolis Bar Association and remains on the IBA Board of Directors... John F. Kautzman is a lifelong Indianapolis resident and attended North Central High School. John graduated from Indiana University in 1981 and the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 1984. He joined the Ruckelshaus law firm in 1985 and also served as a Circuit Court Commissioner for several years.
Mr. Kautzman was elected as the 2005 President of the Indianapolis Bar Association and remains on the IBA Board of Directors. He is a Past President of the Metropolitan Bar Caucus and now serves on the Executive Council of the National Conference of Bar Presidents. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the Indianapolis Bar Foundation. He maintains several professional affiliations, including the Indianapolis Bar Association, the Indiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is a past President of the Indiana University Foundation Board of Associates and is a Life Member of the Indiana University Alumni Association. Mr. Kautzman is also a past Chair of the McKinney School of Law Board of Visitors.
John is admitted to practice in all Indiana State and Federal Courts. His practice includes both civil and criminal litigation, and he has served as lead counsel on a number of high-profile State and Federal Court jury trials, including the first televised Federal Court jury trial in State history. He has also successfully appeared before both the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court for Oral Argument. Mr. Kautzman is listed in Who's Who, is a frequent seminar speaker, and teaches on the faculty of the ICLEF Trial Advocacy Skills College.
He regularly appears on the Indiana Super Lawyers list for achieving peer recognition as one of the top five percent of attorneys in Indiana. Mr. Kautzman was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a nation-wide invitation only honor limited to one percent of the lawyers in any state. He is also listed in the prestigious "Best Lawyers in America."
John represents individuals and organizations on a broad range of legal matters, and focuses primarily in general litigation, criminal defense, personal injury, and law enforcement discipline and liability defense.
About John F. Kautzman
Current Employment Position(s)
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Police & Fire Representation
- Criminal Defense
- Administrative & Disciplinary Hearings
- Business Transactions
- Appellate Practice
- Served as lead counsel in more than 100 State and Federal Jury Trials including 1st televised Federal Court Jury Trial in State history; a $42 Million class action trial court judgment; and several other high profile civil & criminal trials and administrative disciplinary hearings, including Barnett v. Haslar; McKinney v. Duplain; and In Re: Dinnsen & Howard
- Reported appellate cases include more than 50 decisions & opinions, including Criswell v. State of Indiana, Littleton v. State of Indiana, State of Indiana v. Fettig, Ingram v. City of Indianapolis, Arden v. State Employees Appeals Commission, and City of Indianapolis v. Fields.
- Indiana, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1985
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1985
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Past President 2005; Current Member of Board of Directors
- Indianapolis Bar Association, President’s Award for Service to the Profession, 2013
- Indianapolis Bar Association Bar Leader Series, Chairman/Moderator, 2010
- Indianapolis Bar Association Justice Center Task Force, Current Chair
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Judicial Selection Task Force, Past Chair
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Distinguished Fellow
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Conference of Bar Presidents, Executive Council
- Metropolitan Bar Caucus, President 2015 & 2016
- IU Student Foundation Board of Associates, Past President
- IU Foundation, President’s Award, 2003
- IU Alumni Association, Life Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers – Elected/Inducted 2012
- Listed In: Best Lawyers in America; Super Lawyers; Who’s Who in America
Classes and Seminars
- ICLEF Trial Advocacy College, Faculty, Annual Instructor
- ICLEF Top 10 Practical Tips for State and Federal Litigators
- Trial Advocacy Skills College Lectures, including “Examining the Expert Witness at Trial”, “Closing Arguments”, “Mechanics and Foundations of Introducing Exhibits”, “Basics of Cross Examination”, “Controlling the Difficult Witness”
- Numerous Officer and Attorney "Police Liability," "Crisis Intervention Training," and "Critical Incident" Presentations
- Indianapolis Bar Association CLE Presentations, including “Winning Strategies for Direct and Cross Examination”; and “Dealing with the Unexpected at Trial”
- Professional Firefighters Conference Seminar Presenter, 2013 Protecting your Rights in Civil and Criminal Investigations, 2012 Public Employee Freedom of Speech
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1984
- Indiana University, 1981
Accepts Credit Cards
135 North Pennsylvania StreetSuite 1600 Indianapolis, IN 46204
- (317) 634-8635
Monday-Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday-Sunday: Closed
Other Sources of Feedback About John F. Kautzman
Included on the 2024 Indiana list
- 2023 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2006 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2005 Indiana Super Lawyers list
- 2004 Indiana Super Lawyers list
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.