Enter legal issue and location
Lutherville Elder Law Lawyer
Kandace is widely recognized as an expert in Elder Law and has received prestigious accolades, including being named a 2023 Super Lawyer and an American Registry Distinguished Attorney. She has also been honored as a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation, a distinction awarded to only 2.5% of Maryland lawyers and judges. This recognition reflects her outstanding dedication to the welfare of her community, the administration of justice, and the traditions of the legal profession.
Known for her kindness, compassion, and attentive listening, Kandace truly enjoys assisting seniors and their families in navigating challenging situations. She understands that each person and circumstance is unique, and she takes the time to help find the best possible solutions. Alongside Medicaid planning, Kandace's expertise extends to Guardianships, Veterans Benefits, Estate Administration, and the preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney, Healthcare Directives, and Special Needs Trusts. She frequently shares her knowledge through lectures to professional and community groups. Additionally, her firm has authored the book "Elder Law in Maryland."
A native of Maryland, Kandace graduated from The University of Maryland Francis Carey School of Law and is licensed to practice law in Maryland and Washington, DC. She is also an accredited attorney with the Department of Veterans Affairs and a member of The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Kandace previously served as the Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association. In her free time, she enjoys drawing and painting, leveraging her degree in Fine Arts from the Maryland Institute College of Art.
About Kandace L. Scherr Esq.
- Elder Law
- Special Needs Planning
- Persons needing long term care, persons with Special Needs and Veterans needing benefits, Persons wanting estate planning documents and those needing assistance with probate, estate administration
- District of Columbia
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Elder and Disability Law Section (Member)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- MD/DC Chapter of The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Veteran’s Administration (Certified Attorney )
- Baltimore County Provider Council
- Department of Veterans Affairs (Accredited Attorney)
- Elder Law and Disability Rights Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association
Classes and Seminars
- Estate Planning, Kent County Library , 2019 - Present
- Medicaid and Asset Protection, Maryland Association of Adult Day Services (MAADS), 2019 - Present
- Medicaid Planning, Asset Protection and the Five Documents Everyone Needs, MedStar Crawford Conference Center at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, 2019 - Present
- Practical Approaches to Adult Guardianship, The Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Maryland Guardianship Handbook- (Co-author)
- Frederick County Department of Social Services Training Session
- Elder Law, The Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Maryland Elder Law, PESI Continuing Education Conference
- Training Workshop on Legal and Advocacy Issues for Elderly clients, The University of Maryland School of Social Work
- Arden Courts Assisted Living, Towson
- Medical Assistance Planning, Lorman Education Services
- Grandparents and Older Relative Caregiver’s Support Group, Baltimore County Department of Aging
- Your Money and Business - Guest, WMPT Television
- Seminar on Long Term Care, Alzheimer's Association Greater Maryland Chapter
- The Pikesville Senior Center
- The Baltimore County Department of Aging Caregivers Workshop
- Elder Law Presentation, Maryland MENSA
- Shedding Light on Seniors: Guardianship, Sheppard Pratt Conference
Pro Bono Activities
- Frequent lecturer to community and professional groups on Elder Law and Estate Planning Board of Trustees Member of Maryland University of Integrated Health, 2020 - Present
- Assisting disabled Veterans and surviving spouses obtain Veteran's benefits, 2020 - Present
- Secretary of Section Council of The Elder Law and Disability Rights Section of the Maryland Bar Association, 2020 - Present
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 1985
- Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA), 1980
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Honors: cum laude
- Member of Maryland Leadership Class of 2018
Accepts Credit Cards
- Co-author, Maryland Guardianship Handbook
- The Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, “Practical Approaches to Adult Guardianship”
1400 Front AvenueSuite 200 Lutherville, MD 21093
- (410) 337-0031
Other Sources of Feedback About Kandace L. Scherr
Included on the 2024 Maryland list
- 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2022 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- Client's Choice Award, Avvo - This award is based solely on client reviews and ratings, 2020 - Present
- Gold Client Champion Award, Martindale-Hubbell - This award is based solely on client reviews and ratings, 2020 - Present
- Super Lawyers, 2020 - Present
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.