Enter legal issue and location
Lake Charles Family Law Firm
Walt Sanchez understands the importance of your case and the difference a successful outcome can make in your life. You can depend on The Sanchez Law Firm, L.L.C. to represent you with energy, skill and determination.
About The Sanchez Law Firm, LLC
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Professional Disciplinary Actions
- Personal Injury
- Recipient, Judge Albert Tate Award, Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2007
- Listed in "Louisiana Super Lawyers", Criminal Law, 2007 - 2009
- Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America", Family Law, 2007 - 2009
- Recipient, Pro Bono Publico Award, Southwest Louisiana Bar Association, 2004
- Recipient, Philanthropist Day Award, Family Foundation of Southwest Louisiana, 2003
- Citizen of the Year Award, Southwest Louisiana Chapter, National Association of Social Workers, 1995
- Member, Order of St. Charles, Diocese of Lake Charles, June 3, 1990
- Selected, "Best Aggressive Attorney", Times of Southwest Louisiana, Reader's Poll, 2003
- Member, American Mensa, Ltd., 1977
- Fellow, Louisiana Bar Foundation, 1999 - Present
Classes and Seminars
Faculty Member, Trial Advocacy Training Program, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center, 1993 - Present
Speaker, Paul M. Hebert Law Center
Speaker, Loyola University School of Law
Speaker, Louisiana Judicial College
Speaker, Louisiana Association of City and Juvenile Judges
Speaker, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Speaker, American Civil Liberties Union
Speaker, National Legal Aid and Defenders Association
Speaker, Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Speaker, Louisiana Public Defenders Association
Speaker, Southern University School of Law
- Speaker, Southwest Louisiana Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Hearing Committee Chair, Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board, 2003 - 2009
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association Board of Governors, 2006 - 2008
- Right to Counsel Committee, 2005 - 2009
- Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: President, 1998
- Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: Board Member, 1990 - 2008
- Member, Joint Legislative Committee for the Study of the Indigent Defense System (Appointed by the Chief Justice), 1996 - 1997
- Member, Committee on Family Court Rules of the Judicial Counsel of Louisiana (Appointed by the Supreme Court), 2009
- Vice-Chairman, Louisiana Indigent Defender Board (Appointed by the Chief Justice), 1994 - 1996
- Member, Louisiana Public Defender Board, (Appointed by the Speaker of the House), 2004 - 2006
- Member, Louisiana Public Defender Board (LSBA President), 2007
- Member, Louisiana Task Force on Indigent Defense Services (Appointed by the President, Conference of Court of Appeals Judges), 2004 - 2007
- Member, Louisiana State Law Institute, Special Committee to Study Reinstatement of Fault in Divorce, 1998 - 2001
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association Family Law Advisory Commission (Secretary), 2003 - 2004
- Chairman, Indigent Defender Board, 14th Judicial District, 1988 - 1996
- Assistant Examiner, Committee on Bar Admissions, 1992 - 2004
- President, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Southwest Louisiana, Inc., 1989 - 1992
- Board Member, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Southwest Louisiana, Inc., 1987 - 2006
- Member, Board of Trustees, LifeShare Blood Centers, 2003 - Present
- Trustee, Finance Council, Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, 2002 - Present
- Past President, Southwest Louisiana State Fair and Trade Exposition, Inc.
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Lake Charles Symphony
- Past Chair, Professional Division, United Way of Southwest Louisiana, Inc., 1992 - 1993
- President, Advisory Board, Lake Charles Seafarer's Center, Port of Lake Charles, 1986 - 1999
- Appointed by LA Supreme Ct., Judge Pro Tempore, Sulphur City Ct. 1999-
Offers Free Initial Consultation
1200 Ryan Street Lake Charles, LA 70601
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.