Orlando Patent Acquisition and Counseling Lawyer
Dr. Costa is active in the Miami community, including involvement in HYPE Miami and the Technology Committee of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce. He is an honors graduate of the University of Florida Levin College of Law, where he received a Juris Doctorate and Certificate Degree in Intellectual Property Law. While at Florida Law, he received the book awards (highest grade) in Patent Law and International Intellectual Property Law. In addition, he served on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Technology Law & Policy.
Prior to attending law school, Dr. Costa received his Ph.D. in the Medical Sciences (emphasis in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) and his M.S. in Biomedical Engineering all from the University of South Florida (USF). His master's studies focused primarily on the role of robotics in medical engineering and design. His Ph.D. dissertation focused on prevention of Alzheimer's Disease. While a graduate student at USF, he served on the College of Medicine Honors Counsel. He received his B.S. with honors in Microbiology (minor in Chemistry) from the University of Florida.
Dr. Costa's technical experience includes an assistant professorship at the USF Department of Engineering, and a fellowship at the Johnnie B. Byrd Sr. Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.