Enter legal issue and location
San Diego Family Law Lawyer
About Elyse B. Butler CFLS
- English (Primary)
- Family Law
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child & Spousal Support
- Property Division
- Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders
- Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
- Post-Judgment Modifications
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
Specialties and Certifications
- Family Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2014
- San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- San Diego Bar Association, LRIS Referral Member (Family Law)
- San Diego Family Law Bar Association, Member
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, Member
- California Lawyers Association, Family Law Section
Pro Bono Activities
- Domestic Violence Restraining Order Clinic, Volunteer
- Family Law Facilitator's Office, Volunteer
- Honorable Robert C. Coates (ret.), Clerk
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Major: Journalism and Mass Communication specializing in Media Analysis and Criticism from the college of Public Programs
Major: Justice Studies
Offers Free Initial Consultation
- Ending Chronic Homelessness in America’s Major Cities: The Justice System Component, The University of San Francisco Law Review, Fall, Vol. 42, 2007
501 W. BroadwaySuite 1400 San Diego, CA 92101
Other Sources of Feedback About Elyse B. Butler CFLS
Included on the 2018 San Diego list
- 2017 San Diego Super Lawyers list
- 2016 San Diego Super Lawyers list
- Lead Counsel Rated and Verified, California, Thomson Reuters, 2015-Present
- “10 Best” Attorneys – Under 40, California, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016-Present
- “10 Best” in Client Satisfaction, California, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016-Present
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016 - 2018
- Expert Network Distinguished Lawyer, Recipient
- Finance Monthly Magazine Legal Awards, 2019 - Present
- Who’s Who, 2019 - Present
- Top 10 Family Law Attorney, Best of the Best Attorneys, 2019 - Present
- America’s Most Honored Professionals – Top 10%, the American Registry, 2018 - Present
- Top 10 Family Law Attorney, Attorney and Practice Magazine, 2017 - Present
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, the American Registry, 2017 - Present
- Top 100 Lawyer, the National Advocates, 2016 - Present
- Client Distinction Award, Lawyers.com and Martindale.com, 2015 - Present
- Noticed, Recipient
- Lawyer Monthly Women in Law, Recipient
- Women in Law Awards, Lawyer Magazine, 2020
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
Recommends this attorney
I recommend Elyse Butler for the extraordinary work she did for my family and I. She was honest and straight forward from day one. From the minute i walked in the door the whole firm was helpful and comprehensive. I will go back at anytime with any family issue i have in the future because i know she is trust worthy and really professional.
Recommends this attorney
I vividly recall submitting an inquiry online for a consultation and I was impressed on how quickly I was contacted to discuss my child custody and support case . Out of all the attorneys I spoke to, Elyse Butler was the only one that truly listened and was very willing to take on my case which involved my special needs daughter. Elyse discussed all options gracefully and with transparency. She made herself available through various means and made sure I remained well informed of the process from beginning to end. I developed a level of trust and professionalism that is admirable and defines camaraderie. I express my deepest gratitude for the patience, knowledge and incredible work Elyse delivered throughout this legal tenure. I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart! Elyse and the Contreras Law firm sure know how to deliver and the customer service is exemplary!
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.