Portland Family Law Lawyer
“Chance is the type of attorney who immediately rolls up his sleeves and gets his hands dirty”, notes Managing Attorney Colin Amos. “He is not afraid to take on the most complicated case and follow it through to conclusion. This is why he has had such success in child custody cases which are often the most contentious types of cases in family law.” Having litigated numerous Trials gives him a decisive advantage in both negotiations and trial if necessary. His clients appreciate his compassionate, direct and decisive advice when making tough decisions. “Once a decision has been made, his clients take comfort in knowing they have an attorney that will follow through.”
Chance gets that family law is about helping people when they need help. He further notes that “there is nothing more important than your children and their safety. “I have the ability to provide outstanding personal and professional support during this highly emotional process. I have the experience to take cases the distance to trial, but am progressive enough to take advantage of alternative dispute resolution methods such as Mediation.”
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.