Enter legal issue and location
Leesburg Family Law Lawyer
Ms. Miller believes that it is important in family law cases to at least attempt to "calm the drama" and reduce the client's level of stress. She is a dedicated and persistent negotiator and has had tremendous success in settling cases outside of court. When that avenue is not a possibility Ms. Miller is a skilled litigator and oral advocate for her clients. She believes that preparation and attention to detail are the keys to presenting a persuasive case in court.
Ms. Miller is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia. She takes cases in Loudoun County, Frederick County, Winchester City, and Clarke County.
In her free time, Ms. Miller chases her small daughter and watches Mickey Mouse Club House. She also has a beautiful Welsh Terrier pup named Lady Mary.
About Heather Scott Miller
Current Employment Position(s)
- Family Law
- Virginia, 2010
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2011
- Virginia State Bar, member 2010 to present.
- Received recognition as “Bar Leader of the Year” in 2017 from the Virginia Bar Conference of Local and Specialty Bar Association
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association, member 2021 to present
- Served as chair of the Law Camp Committee, 2021-2022
- Volunteer for Wills for Heroes Program
- Loudoun County Bar Association, member 2011 to present
- Served as Board Member at Large, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2016-2017
- Served as Treasurer, 2018-2019
- Served as President elect, 2019-2020
- Served as Past President, 2021-2022
- Chair and Member of the Juvenile Bench-Bar Committee; created the existing uniform discovery used in JDR
- Chair and Member of the Judicial Qualifications and Evaluation Committee; evaluated and recommended individuals for appointment to judicial vacancies in Loudoun County
- Chair of Judicial Investitures, ongoing
- Chair of Judicial Retirements, ongoing
- Volunteers in several capacities for community events
- Loudoun Bar Foundation
- Co-chair and member of the Thomas D. Horne Leadership in the Law Camp Committee for many years.
- Served as President, 2020-2021
Pro Bono Activities
- Thomas D. Horne Leadership in the Law Camp, Committee Member, 2012 - Present
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia, 2010
Honors: cum laude
- Wesleyan College, Macon, Georgia, 2006
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and International Relations
Honors: cum laude
Accepts Credit Cards
30 North King Street Leesburg, VA 20176
Other Sources of Feedback About Heather Scott Miller
Included on the 2023 Washington DC list
- 2022 Washington DC Super Lawyers list
- 2021 Washington DC Super Lawyers list
- 2020 Virginia Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Washington DC Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Washington DC Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Washington DC Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Washington DC Super Lawyers list
- Local Bar Leader of the Year, Virginia State Bar, 2017
- Super Lawyer, Rising Stars, 2016 to present.
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite, Top Young Lawyer, 2016 to present
- Richmond Magazine, Top Attorney in Virginia, Rising Stars, 2016
- Lawyers Weekly, Up and Coming Leaders in the Law, 2019
- Named to the Loudoun County 40 under 40 in 2022, recognizing Loudoun’s rising community and business leaders
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our FindLaw.com Legal Directory disclaimer. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.
Write Your Review
Fields marked with an * are required
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.