Hattiesburg Family Law Firm
OverviewMargaret Holmes, attorney, is originally from Hattiesburg, MS and graduated from Hattiesburg High. Margaret has been practicing law for the past 16 years and attended Tulane University and Texas Southern Law School in Houston, Texas. Upon moving back to Mississippi in 2003, Margaret took over as lead attorney with The Holmes Law Firm. Previously she was a Litigation Paralegal for 12 years giving her a working knowledge of how law firms and the court systems work.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.