Garden City Criminal Matrimonial Law Firm
In addition, Ms. Stone is a member of the Character and Fitness Committee of the Appellate Division, Second Department for the Second, Tenth, and Eleventh Judicial Districts since 1996, and has recently been appointed as a member of the Advisory Committee for Judicial Hearing Officers and appointed to the Nassau County Women's Bar Judiciary Screening Committee.
Ms. Stone has lectured both at Hofstra University School of Law on Family Law as well as lecturing on both family and matrimonial matters at St. John's University School of Law. In addition, Ms. Stone is a Mentor as part of the Family Law Externship Program for Family Law class at Hofstra Law School having law students intern in her office, as well as participating in the Senior Experience for a High School, mentoring students interested in the practice of law. Ms. Stone has appeared on national TV on the Sally Jessie Rafael show, as an expert in children's rights. Just recently, she received the Juridis Peridis Award from the Court Officers Benevolent Association, which is presented to outstanding Attorneys who practice in the Nassau County Courts.
Ms. Stone has been quoted on numerous occasions in the New York Law Journal, as well as various local newspapers and has been interviewed by the news media regarding high profile cases that she has handled.
How do I choose a lawyer?
Consider the following:
- Comfort Level
- - Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
- - How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
- - How are the lawyer's fees structured - hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
- - Is the lawyer's office conveniently located?
Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?
Here are a few to get you started:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How often do you settle cases out of court?
- What are your fees and costs?
- What are the next steps?
Want to check lawyer discipline?
It is always a good idea to research your lawyer prior to hiring. Every state has a disciplinary organization that monitors attorneys, their licenses, and consumer complaints. By researching lawyer discipline you can:
- Ensure the attorney is currently licensed to practice in your state
- Gain an understanding of his or her historical disciplinary record, if any.
- Determine the seriousness of complaints/issues which could range from late bar fees to more serious issues requiring disciplinary action.